Man suffered broken leg in attack outside Leeds city centre bar

A man suffered a broken leg during an attack that was caught on camera outside a Leeds city centre bar.

By Tony Gardner
Wednesday, 5th February 2020, 6:00 am

The victim needed surgery and had to use a wheelchair following the attack by Elliot Greaves and Corey Kirk.

Leeds Crown Court heard the victim had a table thrown at him and thought he was going to die during the incident outside Queen's Court, on Lower Briggate.

Emily Jenkins, prosecuting, said the incident happened on January 6 last year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Leeds Crown Court

The victim was drinking and socialising with other customers when Greaves pushed him in the chest and punched him twice.

Kirk then joined in the assault and pushed the victim into a bench before punching and kicking him.

The victim tried to stand up but his leg gave way and he fell to the floor.

Greaves then picked up a table and threw it at the victim before members of the public stopped the attack.

The defendants left the scene as the victim was badly injured next to a pool of his own blood.

He was taken to hospital by ambulance and required stitches in his hand and surgery on his leg.

Greaves and Kirk returned to the bar and were arrested at around 9.50pm.

In a statement read to the court, the victim described how he needed two operations and was unable to work.

He needed to use a wheelchair as he recovered from his injuries.

He said: "I am depressed and keep getting flashes of what happened."

Greaves, of Cross House Road, Grenoside, Sheffield, and Kirk, of Hall Road, Handsworth, Sheffield, both pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

Greaves has four previous convictions for eight offences, including aggravated vehicle taking and driving while disqualified.

Kirk has two previous convictions for two offences, including assaults.

Probation officer Mick Berry said both defendants said the victim had been a nuisance before the incident and they had initially tried to avoid him.

James Yearsley, for Greaves, described the incident as being out of character for the defendant

David Hewitt, for Kirk, said both defendants are devastated about the injuries they had caused.

Both defendants were given two-year jail terms, suspended for two years.

They were also ordered to complete a 25-day rehabilitation activity requirement and 200 hours of unpaid work.

Greaves was ordered to pay £2,000 compensation to the victim and Kirk was ordered to pay £1,500 compensation.