Man slashed partner with a knife and attacked friend with bottle opener as drug habit "got out of control"

A man who slashed his partner with a knife and attacked his friend with a bottle opener during drink and drug-fuelled episodes has been jailed.

Tuesday, 2nd March 2021, 6:00 am

Martin Longstaffe, 45, attacked his pal at a park in Castleford, and after being bailed, attacked his partner in her home.

Ian Cook, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Crown how Longstaffe became violent towards his partner on January 26 last year.

The woman returned home after comforting a friend who had suffered a bereavement and found Longstaffe in bed.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Martin Longstaffe was jailed for 33 months for attacks on his partner and a friend.

He began to verbally abuse her before grabbing her, punching her then putting his hands around her throat and pinning her to the floor.

She was able to get free but he followed her to the kitchen and grabbed a knife from a drawer.

The victim then ran back into the bedroom and closed the door to keep him out but he forced his way in.

During the struggle her arm was cut deeply by the blade. She ran out of the property and raised the alarm with neighbours.

When questioned by police, Longstaffe blamed his partner for grabbing the knife.

He claimed the woman must have suffered the wound when she was "flailing it around".

Longstaffe pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

Read More

Read More
'I find that astonishing': Train cleaner allowed to keep his job despite stealin...

On February 23, 2019, he had been drinking with friends at the park off Ashton Lane, when an argument broke out.

One of his friends hit Longstaffe in the face with a crutch he was using after a hip operation.

Longstaffe retaliated, striking the man in the face with an object in his hand, causing the victim to bleed heavily.

It was accepted by the Crown Prosecution Service that it was a bottle opener that Longstaffe had in his hand at the time, although a small knife was discarded nearby, along with the opener.

The victim needed hospital treatment for a wound to his cheek.

Longstaffe, formerly of Holywell Lane, Castleford but now of no fixed address, gave no comment during police interview but later admitted a charge of unlawful wounding.

Both victims of Longstaffe's violent outbursts were left with permanent scars.

Michael Collins, mitigating, said Longstaffe had a long-standing issue with drugs.

He had also suffered a difficult childhood and had dealt with trauma by using prescription and illegal drugs.

At one point he had been taking ten different prescription drugs.

Mr Collins said: "He has failed to address those issues and has chosen to try to deal with them by taking prescription drugs alongside controlled drugs.

"The defendant himself suggests that drug taking had got completely out of hand."

The court heard that he was taking crack cocaine, heroin and cannabis and was spending "a couple of hundred pounds" a day.

Judge Andrew Stubbs QC jailed Longstaffe for 33 months.

He was also made the subject of ten-year restraining order to keep him away from both victims.