Leeds pub thug broke bouncer’s jaw

A THUG left a doorman with horrific injuries after kicking him repeatedly in the head outside a pub.

Monday, 9th June 2014, 7:00 am

Andrew Gibbons was jailed for 16 months over the attack outside the Crossed Shuttle pub in Pudsey, Leeds.

Victim Dean Whittaker had his jaw broken in two places and had to have on operation to have pins and screws fitted to his face.

Mr Whittaker also suffered spinal injuries and uses a stick to help him walk more than a year after the attack.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Gibbons - who has a history of drink-related violent offences at pubs and clubs - turned on Mr Whittaker when he tried to calm him down when he became aggressive with other people. Gibbons, 28, threw two punches which knocked Mr Whittaker to the floor. Kathryn Stuckey, prosecuting, said: “While on the floor the defendant kicked the complainant to the head. At that point the complainant lost consciousness.

“His colleague and a witness described seeing a kick to the face and two more kicks to the torso area.”

Gibbons left the scene but handed himself in to police after a Crimestoppers appeal. He initially tried to claim he had acted in self defence. Gibbons, of Sheridan Close, Pudsey, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Miss Stuckey said Mr Whittaker continues to suffer from depression and post traumatic stress disorder following his ordeal. Gibbons has previous offences for criminal damage, drink driving and threatening behaviour.

He also has a conviction for assaulting a Police Community Support Officer after she asked him to stop urinating in the street.

Charlotte Worsley, mitigating, handed judge Paula Tyler references which described her client in glowing terms. The barrister said Gibbons was well regarded as a contractor manager for Northern Commercials. She said he was also a football team captain.

Ms Worsley said: “When he drinks he has got himself into trouble.” She added that Gibbons now had a fiancée and had changed his life since the attack. She added: “He is genuinely terrified about custody and the impact it will have on his family, In effect he knows it is time to grow up and he intends to do that.”

Judge Paula Tyler said: “This offence was committed in a public place. There were other people around. It has had a significant ongoing affect on your victim.”