Knifeman who stabbed Leeds partygoer in back is jailed

A thug who stabbed a man in the back outside a Leeds house party in a 'cowardly and gratuitous' attack has been handed an eight year extended sentence.

Saturday, 22nd May 2021, 4:45 am

Bilal Hussain took his victim's mobile phone before inflicting the stab wound outside an address in Hessle Mount, Hyde Park, Leeds Crown Court heard.

The victim suffered a one-and-a-half centimetre wound and spent a night being treated in hospital following the attack in the early hours of July 18 2020.

The court heard Hussain, 20, asked the victim for his mobile phone so he could add a number to it and walked off with the phone.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bilal Hussain

Soheil Khan, prosecuting, said Hussain became agitated when the victim asked for his phone back.

The victim was scared and started to walk back to the party when he felt pain and blood running down his back.

Hussain admitted wounding with intent and theft of the mobile phone.

Hussain, of no fixed abode, was sent to a young offender institution for six months in February 2019 after being convicted of a robbery in November 2018

In May 2019 he was locked up for 15 months after being convicted of conspiracy to supply class A drugs.

And on January 14 2021 he was sentenced to three years detention in a young offender institution for an October 2020 robbery.

Glenn Parsons, mitigating, said: "He wants to avail himself of the courses that are available in custody and better himself and be a better person and support his mother, rather than be a source of anguish to her and his siblings."

Recorder Craig Hassall QC told Hussain: "This was an entirely gratuitous and cowardly assault, stabbing the victim in the back as he walked away from you.

"You seem to think you have no responsibility for offences you commit whilst under the influence of drink or drugs."

Recorder Hassall added: "The probation service assess you as being a dangerous offender and I agree with that assessment."

Recorder Hassall handed Hussain an eight year extended sentence, consisting of five years jail plus a three year extended licence.

The sentence will run concurrently to the three year sentence imposed in January, which he is currently serving.