'I'm going to put you in a grave': Leeds man sent homophobic death threats to brother-in-law and threatened to snap kitten's neck

A man who sent homophobic messages to his brother-in-law threatening to kill him and his pet kitten has been sent to prison.

Friday, 5th March 2021, 4:45 pm

Stephen Brownsword bombarded the victim with a series of voice messages and texts.

Leeds Crown Court heard Brownsword sent the threatening messages after falling out with the victim during a dispute over a television and a kitten.

James Kinsey, prosecuting, said the defendant sent his relative 16 threatening voice messages and a text message on June 8 last year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leeds Crown Court

Mr Kinsey said Brownsword threatened to "snap" the victim's chin during one message.

In other messages he told the victim he would "boot his jaw", break his nose and put a hammer to his head.

Some messages were also homophobic as he threatened to kill his brother-in-law and 'stomp on his grave'.

Read More

Read More
'I'm ashamed of myself': Son stole more than £100,000 from his elderly mum while...

Mr Kinsey said the victim was scared because he knew of his previous convictions for violence.

Police were contacted on three occasions over the offending.

A witness also told police he saw the defendant turn up outside the victim's home holding a knife.

Brownsword, 28, of St Luke's Green, Beeston, was arrested and told police had a personality order.

He said he once started ranting he "could not stop".

Brownsword was the subject of a suspended sentence order at the time of the offence for possession of a knife in public.

He pleaded guilty to sending a malicious communication and breach of a suspended sentence.

Brownsword also has a previous convictions for wounding with intent.

Richard Reed, mitigating, said: "He comes before the court bitterly regretting his actions.

"He is very sorry that he has let himself and his family down.

Mr Reed said the offending took place after a dispute with the victim lasting about three weeks.

Brownsword was jailed for 16 months.

Judge Robin Mairs said: "There was a dispute between the two of you.

"I do not really know what the dispute boiled down to, nor am I concerned about why.

"What concerns me is that you made significant threats of violence to man and beast.

"You have a significant history of violence and I have no doubt these messages caused the fear that you intended.

"Understandably, he was terrified. You turned up at his address threatening violence.

"That is a grossly aggravating feature of this offence."