Homeless man fighting pneumonia has tent destroyed leaving Leeds community shocked
People in Leeds have rallied around a homeless man in Burley after his tent and belongings were destroyed by vandals.
Mark, who sleeps in a tent near Burley Road, was released from hospital last week after fighting pneumonia.
He returned to his tent on Monday evening to find all his belongings had been destroyed and scattered around the park, leaving him exposed to the wet weather and freezing temperatures.
Danny Silk, who owns HomeCoach personal training studios on Burley Road, regularly visits Mark to bring him food and check on his welfare.
Danny said: "The local hairdresser gave him food, the owners of the DIY shop donated him a gas cooker with gas cylinders to help keep him warm, but it was all destroyed.
"It is the second time it has happened and these people need to be ashamed."
Danny posted an appeal on a community Facebook group, asking for urgent help from homeless charities to help Mark to survive.
He was flooded with responses from people across Leeds, who put him in touch with charity Homeless Street Angels.
Another generous resident donated a tent which was put up for Mark in the evening.
Danny added: "I lost my mother to pneumonia this year so I feel for Mark and with him just being let out of hospital last week, I wouldn’t want the same to happen to him.
"We've managed to replace some of his clothing and I have purchased an outside storage case so he can keep everything locked up and dry, for when he has appointments and is using whatever services he can to get off the streets, get a home and into work.
"Hopefully he can find somewhere more permanent soon."
Co-founders of Homeless Street Angels, Becky and Shelley Joyce, will visit Mark this afternoon to take supplies and try to source emergency accommodation for him.