Helicopter and police dogs used to catch Leeds McDonald's worker during dangerous motorbike chase as he rode home from shift

A teenage McDonald's worker put lives in danger when he tried to escape police on his motorbike as he rode home from a shift at the fast food restaurant.

Sunday, 9th February 2020, 5:00 pm

Samuel Taylor failed to stop for police when they noticed his motorbike was being ridden without a licence plate in the Wortley area of Leeds.

Taylor sped when officers signalled for him to pull over on Oldfield Road.

The incident began around 10.30pm on on August 2 last year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

McDonald's worker Samuel Taylor said he "just wanted to get home" after he noticed his licence plates had been stolen from outside the fast food restaurant on Butt Lane, Farnley.

The 18-year-old went across Tong Road and into Armley.

He ignored a red light at a crossing on Armley Town Street and narrowly avoided hitting a pedestrian at the crossing.

He came close to hitting another member of the public on Beech Avenue and failed to give way at Armley Ridge Road.

Police officers tried to use a stop stick device to puncture the machine's tyres but Taylor rode over it and carried on.

Police dogs and a helicopter was used to catch Samuel Taylor in Armley Park

A car had to swerve out of the way to avoid a collision on Stanningley Road.

Taylor continued through a red light on Swinnow Lane.

Officers used the stop stick device on the motorbike for a second time on Henconner Lane.

The tyres were punctured and Taylor abandoned the machine and ran into Armley Park.

The West Yorkshire Police helicopter and dog unit were deployed during the incident.

Police dogs were used to track Taylor who was arrested in the park.

Taylor was interviewed about the incident and said it happened after he had finished his shift at the McDonald's fast food restaurant on Butt Lane, Farnley.

He said he went to his motorbike and noticed that the licence plates had been stolen but said he "just wanted to get home."

Taylor, of Pasture Mount, Armley, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving.

Anastasis Tasou, mitigating, said: "He has been an extremely foolish young man and this was a very prolonged, poor piece of driving.

"This was an offence very much out of character."

Taylor was given a six month custodial sentence, suspended for two years.

He was also ordered to do 100 hours of unpaid work.