Headingley murder: Sentencing of Mohammed Fike Butt adjourned at Leeds Crown Court for three weeks

The sentencing hearing of a killer who has pleaded guilty to murdering a man and attempting to injure two others with his car has been adjourned.

Wednesday, 31st March 2021, 1:22 pm

Mohammed Fike Butt was due to be sentenced today (March 31) over the death of Jason Llanwarne on North Lane, Headingley, on September 14 last year.

The 31-year-old has also admitted attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent to Dean Ward and Scott Chalders during the same incident.

The hearing could not go ahead for legal reasons which cannot be reported at this stage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mohammed Fike Butt

The case was adjourned until April 22.

Butt entered guilty pleas on Friday (March 26), midway through his trial at Leeds Crown Court.

Jurors heard how Butt laughed as he drove his car over Mr Llanwarne's body as he lay injured on the pavement after being deliberately knocked down.

Butt then went to a takeaway and ordered himself a portion of cheesy chips moments after causing the fatal injuries.

Prosecutors said Butt carried out the attack to teach the three men "a lesson" during a dispute over drugs.

CCTV footage of the attack in which Butt used his car "as a weapon" was played during the trial.

Butt drove his car at Mr Chalders and Mr Ward, causing injuries to Mr Chalder's leg.

The defendant's Mazda then re-joined the carriageway before turning around, mounting the pavement again and driving at all three men.

Mr Llanwarne was struck and carried on the bonnet before falling to the floor.

Butt then turned the vehicle around and drove at the men a third time despite his windscreen being smashed.

The court heard a wheel was deliberately driven over Mr Llanwarne while his friends were trying to pull him out of the way.

Butt, of Cross Flatts Avenue, Beeston, abandoned his car behind a nearby takeaway and called a taxi.

Mr Llanwarne suffered multiple injuries to his head and body and was declared dead at Leeds General Infirmary.

A pathologist said his death was caused by a tear to an artery in his neck.