Environment officer had to leave his job on medical grounds after being beaten up by thug in street attack

An environment officer had to leave his job on medical grounds after a thug attacked him in the street.

By Nick Frame
Tuesday, 14th September 2021, 4:45 pm

Samuel Dear punched the man several times and ended up grappling on the floor with him outside the property on Gillann Street, Knottingley, in January 2019.

The worker was left with two broken ribs and cuts and bruises to his face.

The impact of the incident led him to later stepping down from his role on medical grounds.

Leeds Crown Court

Dear, 23, denied two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on the officer and his colleague and stood trial at Leeds Crown Court.

He was found guilty of the assault on the officer, but acquitted of assaulting the victim's colleague.

The court heard Dear had "taken exception" to the officer and launched into the attack.

A victim impact statement read out by prosecutor Jade Edwards said the officer had suffered sleepless nights after the attack, had anxiety and anger issues and was undergoing counselling.

Read More

Read More
Leeds couple made spice on an 'industrial scale' in their garden shed then sold ...

Ms Edwards said: "The impact has been great. The complainant has suffered considerable personal injury and it's clearly had an impact. He has had to retire from his job."

Dear, of Station Lane, Featherstone, has two previous convictions for four offences, including two matters of violence.

A probation report suggested that despite being found guilty, Dear "has issues with minimising blame", although it noted that he was remorseful.

James Littlehales, mitigating for Dear, said his client has stayed out of trouble since the incident and was in a stable relationship with his girlfriend.

Although he had last worked as a labourer, he was currently unemployed and Mr Littlehales argued he would be ideal for unpaid work should the judge suspend the inevitable custodial sentence.

But the judge, Recorder Andrew Latimer, felt immediate jail was the only option, handing him a 10-month sentence.

He told Dear: "He was an environment officer standing outside a property. You took exception to him being there.

"His personal statement makes clear the impact it has had.

"It's clear you acted impulsively and had a lack of maturity."