The chlorine is believed to come from the centre's eight-lane, 25m swimming pool staff have closed for the day.
Fire crews attended the scene on Willow Terrace Road on Sunday morning after the problem was discovered overnight. Nobody was in the pool at the time.
The Edge membership is open to both students and the general public, and the pool is used by elite athletes for training, including the Brownlee brothers.
A statement posted on The Edge read:-
“The Edge closed this morning after staff discovered an issue in the swimming pool plant room which required investigation to ensure safe operation.
“All users and staff are safe, the issue turned out to be a minor one and specialist engineers are on site fixing the problem.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
“All other facilities will reopen at 2.30pm, although the swimming pool will remain closed for the rest of the day, reopening as usual at 6.30am tomorrow.
“Please check our Facebook and Twitter channels for any further updates.”
The Edge tweeted on Thursday and Friday to confirm that there was no hot water in the shower area due to a campus maintenance issue.
The pool closure meant children's swimming lessons this morning were cancelled.