Drunk man jailed for petrol bombing his former workplace in Leeds with beer bottles in revenge attack

A drunk who petrol bombed his former workplace in Leeds in a revenge attack has been locked up for 20 months.

Monday, 8th March 2021, 4:45 pm

Dean Barber filled beer bottles with the flammable liquid before throwing them at a van parked outside the premises on Gelderd Road.

Leeds Crown Court heard Barber handed himself in at Elland Road police station immediately after causing the damage at TF Solutions Ltd.

Jessica Heggie, prosecuting, said Barber had worked for the air conditioning and refrigeration distribution company up until July 2019.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Arson Dean Barber was jailed for petrol bombing his former workplace in Leeds.

Barber was angry with his former employer over his belief that they had not investigated a complaint he had made while working there.

The 46-year-old defendant sent e-mails to the firm in July last year in which he threatened to burn the building down.

Read More

Read More
Cocaine worth half a million pounds found in secret compartment of 62-year-old m...

Ms Heggie said Barber was captured on security cameras throwing items at a van outside the building.

Police were alerted by the security company monitoring the cameras but Barber handed himself in before the matter could be investigated further.

The prosecutor said smashed bottles were found on the floor outside the premises and there was a strong smell of petrol.

Around £600 worth of damage was caused including a smashed windscreen on the work van.

Barber made full admissions to police about his offending.

Read more: Burglar pushed over toddler and threatened to stab Leeds businesswoman in her own home as he stole £5,000 in cashMiss Heggie said: "He said he threw petrol bombs made from beer bottles."

Barber, of Maud Avenue, Beeston, Leeds, pleaded guilty to arson.

He has convictions for 55 previous offences, including an offence of arson with intent to endanger life committed 21 years ago.

Phillip Morris, mitigating, said Barber committed the offences at a time when he had split up with his wife and was drinking heavily.

Mr Morris said Barber was living along alone in a flat and was struggling to cope with lockdown.

He said: "This is pretty much a man who has lost everything."

Sentencing Barber, Judge Neil Clark said: "I am afraid that anybody who deliberately makes petrol bombs and sets fire to something must only expect an immediate custodial sentence."