Dangerous driver arrested on roof of Leeds General Infirmary after he escaped from police and ran off in handcuffs

A man was arrested on the roof of Leeds General Infirmary after he escaped from police custody after being arrested for dangerous driving.

By Tony Gardner
Friday, 5th February 2021, 6:00 am

Scott Hedley managed to give officers the slip as he was being transported to the hospital in Leeds city centre after suffering head injuries during the driving incident.

Leeds Crown Court heard Hedley was arrested on January 5 this year after a car chase in the Chapeltown and Harehills area of the city.

Lorena Veale, prosecuting, said police were initially called to a report of shotgun fire in woodland in Headingley at 10.35pm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Scott Hedley was arrested after climbing onto the roof of a Leeds General Infirmary building on Portland Street.

The officers were made aware of a black VW Corsa being driven away from the area as they made their way to the scene.

The vehicle was spotted later that evening in Chapeltown.

Hedley was driving the vehicle and had a passenger.

He drove through a red light on Harehills Avenue and reached 60mph in 30mph areas.

Read More

Read More
'His need to be popular and admired is paramount': Fraudster son jailed for flee...

Ms Veale said Hedley had to swerve to avoid a collision with another car on Spencer Place.

A wheel on the Corsa became badly damaged when Hedley struck the kerb as he tried to take a corner at 60mph.

Sparks flew from the vehicle as he tried to continue driving before abandoning the car in the car park of Chapeltown Surgery.

Hedley and the passenger ran from the vehicle.

The defendant was spotted by an officer a short time later when he recognised the distinctive clothing he was wearing.

Hedley jumped over a fence and tried to get away across a commercial yard on Roseville Road.

He was detained and arrested after more officers attended the incident.

He managed to run away from officers as he was being led from a police van.

An officer chased after the defendant along Calverley Street but lost sight of him.

A passing taxi driver saw the incident and told the officer to get into his car.

They saw Hedley climb onto the roof of a hospital building on Portland Street.

He was arrested on the roof and taken back into the hospital.

Hedley, 27, of Fountain Street, Morley, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and escape.

The defendant was out of prison on licence at the time of the incident and was recalled to custody.

Richard Reed, mitigating, said Hedley injured his foot as he tried to escape from the officers and gave himself up when he was on the roof.

Mr Reed said Hedley had panicked and drove off from police as he was driving his girlfriend's car to go shopping after she tested positive for Covid-19.

The barrister said Hedley was uninsured and feared being sent back to prison.

Hedley was given a 12 month sentence and was banned from driving for three and a half years.