Baseball bat thug brought to justice 18 years after he carried out revenge attack on rival in Leeds village

A man has been jailed nearly two decades after he carried out a revenge baseball bat attack on a rival during a dispute over a motorbike.

Friday, 2nd April 2021, 6:00 am

Mark Evans fled the country after the serious assault in which his victim needed surgery to a serious facial wound.

Evans carried out the attack in Swillington on July 11, 2002.

Leeds Crown Court heard Evans failed to attend court for trial after being bailed following the incident.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leeds Crown Court

He was traced to the Republic of Ireland and was arrested in December last year at Heathrow Airport.

Andrew Dallas, prosecuting, said Evans and the victim knew each other and there was "bad blood" between them.

The victim had a garage business at the rear of his home and had done work for Evans in the past.

On the day of the incident the victim was at home with two other men.

Read More

Read More
Leeds drug dealer used dark web to order packages of cocaine and MDMA to his hom...

The defendant was with another man who looked like a bodybuilder and was carrying a knife.

The man with the knife threatened one of the victim's friends with the weapon.

The victim walked towards Evans with his arms raised in self defence.

Evans then attacked him with the weapon before he ran off with the other man.

Mr Dallas said the victim suffered a serious wound to his head and required surgery.

Evans, of West View, Micklefield, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding and breach of bail.

Anthony Sugare, mitigating, said there were "unusual features" to the case.

He added: "Nothing I am going to say excuses the defendant's behaviour."

Mr Sugare said Evans and the man had known each other for about five years before the attack.

He said: "The defendant had two motorbikes which he stored about half a milf away from where (the victim) lived.

"The motorbikes were taken in a burglary.

"The next thing he knew he was offered his own bike for sale by a third party who told him that (the victim) had sold him the bike.

"Obviously (the victim) is not here to answer what the defendant says."

Mr Sugare added: "There was motive for what he did, although unjustifiable motive."

Evans was jailed for 32 months.

Judge Penelope Belcher said: "Whatever the position, it gave you no right to take the law into your own hands."