Barman left with glass embedded in his scalp after being attacked with wine bottle for refusing to serve 64-year-old man a pint after midnight at Further North bar in Chapel Allerton

A barman was left permenently scared and had glass embedded in his scalp after being attacked with a wine bottle by a man he refused to serve a pint to after midnight.

Wednesday, 2nd December 2020, 11:45 am

Christopher Knowles flew into a violent rage at Further North, in Chapel Allerton, and inflicted the injuries upon the staff member in front of shocked customers.

Knowles, 64, was locked up for three years and eight months after pleading guilty to wounding with intent.

Leeds Crown Court heard the former postman had led an "unblemished" life until carrying out the attack.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Further North bar, on Harrogate Road

Duncan Ritchie, prosecuting, said the incident took place on June 16, 2018.

Knowles entered the bar on Harrogate Road at 11.40pm and ordered a pint before sitting on his own to drink it.

The incident happened after the barman, aged in his twenties, served a group of people just before midnight.

Knowles approached the bar moments later to buy another drink but the barman told him he could not serve him as it had gone midnight.

Read More

Read More
Violent dad spat at baby then stabbed his partner with pair of scissors

He picked up a stack of beer mats and threw them at the barman before launching into the attack.

The court heard Knowles "used whatever he could get his hands on" to inflict injuries to the barman's head and body.

Witnesses described hearing smashing glass in the bar area and seeing Knowles stood over the victim holding a broken wine bottle by the neck.

The prosecutor said the attack was captured on CCTV footage and took place in front of 16 customers.

People inside the bar pulled Knowles off the victim and pushed him out of the door.

A doctor who had been drinking in the bar follow Knowles in a bid to detain him.

Knowles laughed and stuck two fingers up at the doctor before walking away.

The doctor returned to the bar to give the barman first aid.

He described the injuries as "very shocking".

Glass which was embedded in his scalp had to be removed and his wounds were stitched.

He also suffered a cut to his arm which medical staff said would have been much more serious had he not been wearing a thick-sleeved shirt.

Knowles was arrested in 2019 and told police he had a "disagreement" with the barman about not being able to get more beer.

He claimed he had punched the victim in self defence as he feared he was going to be attacked.

The defendant later accepted responsibility for what he had done, saying: "I am very sorry for what has happened. My behaviour was abysmal really.

"He's just a young man. Nobody should be put through that."

Mr Ritchie said the victim still has scarring more than two years after the attack,

The prosecutor read a statement to the court on behalf of the victim describing how he had been deeply affected by the incident.

He continues to feel self-conscious as a result of his scar and feels unable to relax in social situations.

The court heard Knowles is a divorcee and a former postman who had volunteered at his local hospital.

Stuart Field, mitigating, said Knowles had little recollection of carrying out the attack.

Sentencing, Judge Christopher Batty said Knowles had led an unblemished life up until the offence but had "behaved in an inexplicable way."