These photos are trending as the 'most popular' images on photographic archive Leodis. PICS: Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net
The images cover all four corners of Leeds and cover a range of subject matters and issues down the decades. They are currently trending as the 'most viewed' images on photographic archive Leodis, which is run by Leeds Library & Information Service. They also run heritage blog The Secret Library Leeds, which provides a behind the scenes look at the Central Library and highlights from its special collections, including rare books hidden away in the stacks. LOVE LEEDS? LOVE NOSTALGIA?Join Leeds Retro on facebook
Junctions of Leighton Lane, Bedford Place, Chorley Lane (right to left) in 1946. Bedford Hotel can be seen on junction with Bedford Place (centre.) Photograph was taken to show proposed site for car parking accomodation
Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
Circa 1980s. Cottingley Hall Cemetery and Crematorium on Churwell Ring Road. To the left of centre is the statue 'Winged Victory' which was originally part of the Leeds City War Memorial in Victoria Gardens.
Circa 1880s. The waterfall at Roundhay Park, located at the southern edge of Waterloo Lake. Taken between 1880 and 1890 by Manchester printer John Lees Sykes.
Woodhouse's Leicester Mount is lavishly decorated to welcome returning servicemen in 1945. This photo was taken from the vicinity of Leicester Terrace.
It took them only 27 weeks to build the cinema which provided seating for 1,500 and a car park for 400 vehicles, at that time the largest cinema and car park in the country. This photo dates from January 1937.
View of tram car number 326 photographed at Kirkstall Road Tram Works in Kirkstall Road. It was one of a series of 47, numbered 293 to 339.
An undated image of the Church of the Venerable Bede at the junction of Stanningley Road and Cockshott Lane. It is still in use today.
North east side from opposite Ludgate Hill in December 1952. Buildings include National Provincial Bank, Maxwells clothes shop, Commercial Cafe and clubs, Zuckers wool and silk shop, Timms and Dibson, Max Williams and a fur shop.
September 1954, View showing Tram no 509 on Dewsbury Road travelling on route no 9. Advert for 'Hammonds Ales' can be seen on side of tram.
The construction of a cooling tower at Kirkstall Power Station in August 1945. The River Aire is in the foreground and Gotts Park is visible in the background.
Block of houses on Lovell Road at junction with Albert Grove in November 1950. Northfield Terrace can be seen on the left.
An undated view of the old Medical School built circa 1864/65 on the west side of Park Street. It was designed by architect, George Corson.
View looking towards Crispin House in 1999 which has now been converted into luxury loft apartments. Park Lane College building and Quarry House can be seen. Blocks of flats on Saxton Gardens are also visible in the background.
A view looking along Springfield Place showing the back of Woodhouse Hill Methodist Chapel in June 1955. This fronted on to Woodhouse Hill Road.
The white-rendered Tommy Wass Public House at number 450 Dewsbury Road standing at the junction with Old Lane and the Ring Road at Beeston Park. This photo was taken in 2005.
Looking down the steep incline from Middleton Town Street to Broom Pit in November 1950. It shows signal and points, situated where winding gear was used to help draw the wagons up the incline at Rope Hill.