Enjoy these photo memories of Headingley during the 1980s. PICS: Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net
They feature street scenes as well as local landmarks in LS6 from a decade brought enormous social and economic change to the suburb and beyond. They are published courtesy of photographic archive Leodis, which is run by Leeds Library & Information Service. They also run heritage blog The Secret Library Leeds, which provides a behind the scenes look at the Central Library and highlights from its special collections, including rare books hidden away in the stacks. READ MORE:12 unseen photos of Headingley down the decadesLOVE LEEDS? LOVE NOSTALGIA?Join Leeds Retro on facebook
June 1980 and pictured is Otley Road showing the junction with Cottage Road on the right. Shops include H. Moorhouse, grocers, Mayfair Fashions and J. C. Cook, butcher.
Otley Road in June 1980 with the junction with Cottage Road on the right. Pictured is H. Moorhouse, grocers, and Mayfair Fashions and Hairdressing.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
Ssssh quiet please! Inside Headingley Library which was officially opened in 1983.
Book worms use the facilities at the newly-opened Headinley Library in 1983.
A view from North Lane of the junction with Otley Road and Wood Lane in March 1980. On the right at no.1 North Lane is Barratts footwear. Shops on Otley Road are SupaSnaps Film Processing and Norman Hunter Sports.
A view looking east along Claremont Road towards Grove Road in January 1980.
January 1985 and pictured is the Bear Pit on Cardigan Road which dates from 1840 and was a feature in the Leeds Zoological and Botanical Gardens once sited there.
Cardigan Road showing Regency Court in January 1985. On the right is one of the two castellated viewing towers built to observe the brown bear housed in the bear pit in the Leeds Zoological and Botanical Gardens.
Oakfield House on Alma Road in 1983. The name of this building was changed when it was converted to flats, becoming numbers 1 and 2 Brodrick Court.
Shops on Otley Road in March 1980. On the right is Barclays Bank, then Woodcock Travel Agents, Bradleys Video and TV Centre, Norman Hunter sports and SupaSnaps Film Processing.
March 1983. The doorway of Moorfield House situated on Alma Road. This house was built in 1866 for William Glover who was the owner of a Leeds chemical firm.
A large property at number 18 Wood Lane known as St Ives in 1983. The house is set within gardens and flower beds.
Buckingham House on Headingley Lane in March 1983.
Share your memories of life in Headingley during the 1980s with Andrew Hutchinson via email at: [email protected] or tweet him - @AndyHutchYPN