Shopping precinct at Middleton Park circus. Retail premises visible are, from right to left: A King, coal merchant; WA Appleyard and Sons, Confectioners; Leeds Industrial Co-operative Society General Store and Gallons Ltd, grocers.
Middleton Park. Opened as a public park on July 23, 1920. The estate had been owned by various families, the Brandlings who were local colliery owners, and later the Maude family.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
Middleton Park Road and its junction with Lingwell Avenue showing business of FW Metcalfe, general store.
A view through the trees of Middleton Park Cafe, part of a row of cottages known as Top of the Wood Cottages thought to date from the early 1700s
Parade of shops on left hand side of Middleton Park Circus built between 1927 and 1929.
Young local residents taking part in a street party in Sissons Crescent to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
Middleton Housing Estate - houses under construction. Streets unnamed as yet.
The Leeds Industrial Co-operative Society store on Middleton Park Road taken from across the tramlines. The detail is not clear, but the original shows a boy struggling with groceries and a row of shops below the Co-op.
Middleton Park postal and telegraph office at 5-7 Middleton Park Avenue on junction with Middleton Park Mount.
Bedford's confectioner's shop taken from Middleton Park Circus.
Advertising hoardings (crossed through) on the side of Gibbs butchers at Middleton Park Circus. There is a good view of the butchers' window. Also in view is Hopkinson's Grocery and part of Gatenby's the greengrocer.
The corner of Middleton Park Post Office on Middleton Park Avenue. There is what appears to be a stamp vending machine at the doorway, and a tall street light outside.
Tramlines on Middleton Park Road with houses in the background. The main focus of the photograph is a rectangular object (possibly a tram timetable) which has an advertisement for Rinso on the back.
Broom Colliery. The pit was closed in 1968 and by 1969 the decision was made that it would become an open tipping site.
The farm house and barns of Middleton Mill Farm. Surrounded by fields and farm land. In the distance is a railway line.
A large building described as Gamekeepers Cottage which is located on the outskirts of Middleton Wood.
View of 537 Dewsbury Road in Middleton which was the residence of W.M.Whitaker, plumber. An Anderson air-raid shelter can be seen on right of the photograph.
Middleton Library on Middleton Park Avenue, with adjoining police station to the right. The library was opened in 1956 but both properties were demolished. At the right edge a health centre is visible.
Middleton Colliery Railway, looking down the steep incline from Middleton Town Street to Broom Pit.
A view of back alley behind Lingwell Road. 'Beware of the dogs' sign is visible.
The railway track and winding gear used to draw wagons up the steep incline from Broom Pit to Middleton Town Street at Rope Hill. The backs of cottages on Town Street in the vicinity of Holmsville house can be seen
Sites for building estates had been acquired by Leeds Council in 1918/1919, of which Middleton was one. A team of twenty one architects were appointed to design homes which would suit the needs of tenants.
Middleton estate. Building work has been completed, homes are occupied, gardens are in the process of being laid out.
Middleton estate. Houses were built in various styles and sizes to accommodate the needs of tenants. In this view work is still in progress, building tools and materials can be seen.
557 Dewsbury Road, the residence of Leonard Wilkinson. A painted sign to front of house advertising the services of Mr. Wilkinson Builder and Contractor has red line markings edited to photograph by city engineers implying sign has been erected without permission.
A view looking towards spire of St Mary's Church which is on Town Street. New Lane can be seen behind hedgerow.
View looking from Sissons Road on to Middleton Garage which is on Middleton Park Road. Businesses on the left are at number 2 Sissons Road, Morris Newsagents with E. Heaps, Turf Commission Agents at number 4.
A low timber fence on Middleton Park Avenue. There is a painted wooden sign offering directions to the Middleton Arms, and beside this a free-standing hoarding promoting films at the Tivoli.
A garden party at Middleton Lodge. This building became the clubhouse of Middleton Park Municipal Golf Club.
Families posed outside cottages on Low Grange known as 'woo-cud-a-thouwt-it'. Nickname came about from a chance remark made by Queen Victoria on being impressed by the panoramic views as she passed to open Leeds Town Hall in 1858.
Holmewell House. Located below the school and set slightly back off Town Street. its name originates from the presence of a well in the garden.
Allenby Parade, a row of shops on Ring Road Beeston Park. Businesses include R. Delacey, Jeweller, E. Bradley, and William Hill, bookmakers. On the far left of the photo is the Tommy Wass pub on Dewsbury Road.
The Middleton Arms. Opened as a hotel in 1925 and boasted a ballroom which was painted with murals. The Middleton Arms also boasted its own private double tennis courts and sunken garden.
Shadwell Lane, two of a group of six stone-built back-to-back houses located near to the junction with Shadwell Lane and Moortown Ring Road.
A view of Back Mount Pleasant looking west onto Lingwell Crescent. Children are playing in the street, with a bicycle and tricycle in the background.