Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab refuses to rule out a third national lockdown

Dominic Raab has refused to rule out a third national lockdown if there is another wave of the coronavirus pandemic in the new year.

Sunday, 29th November 2020, 10:14 am
Updated Sunday, 29th November 2020, 10:18 am
Dominic Raab. PIC: PA

The Foreign Secretary told BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show there was a "risk" of a third spike in case numbers "if we don't get the balance right".

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: "But so far the R level is coming down - that's really important - and that's why we're starting with the tiered approach."

But asked whether there would be another national lockdown if people fail to comply with the rules, Mr Raab said: "We're doing everything we can to avoid that."