Today the Yorkshire Evening Post gives YOU the chance to name your health care heroes.
We are launching our Best of Health Awards for the fourth consecutive year in 2015 as we aim to recognise health workers in a range of fields who go above and beyond the call of duty for those they care for.
Our awards aim to honour those who dedicate their working lives – and sometimes their personal lives – to looking after the wellbeing of others.
We are looking for the real superstars who deserve to be publicly recognised for the work that they do, which can often go under the radar.
Last year’s third annual award ceremony was the biggest to date, proving a massive success with hundreds of people being put forward.
Now we are looking for nominations in 10 categories for the 2015 awards, including prizes that will recognise the brilliance of West Yorkshire’s top doctors, nurses and carers.
This year we have introduced two new categories. The first aims to recognise health staff who have made a ‘special contribution’ to their field, be it through long service or persistent campaigning, and the other will highlight the efforts of workers considered pillars of their communities such as pharmacists, dentists and opticians.
After the closing date for entries of October 19, our panel of expert judges will draw up a shortlist for each category. The judges will then pick the winners, based on information provided in the nominations.
All the nominees will be invited to a glitzy awards lunch hosted by BBC presenter Clare Frisby at The Queens Hotel, in Leeds, on December 7, when the winners will be announced.
The nominee who especially impresses will also given the Overall Judges’ Award.
Nicola Furbisher, managing editor of the Yorkshire Evening Post, said: “All too often the hard work and dedication of health staff in our area goes unnoticed, which is why we’re determined to uncover and heap praise on those who truly deserve it.
“We hope all our readers will again support these awards and send in their nominations now to help us honour some real superstars.”
For the fourth year running, Sovereign Health Care is sponsoring the awards. The firm was set up in 1873 as the Hospital Fund of Bradford and has since been offering a lifeline to families and communities across Yorkshire.
Russ Piper, chief executive of Sovereign, said the firm was “proud” to continue its support of the Best of Health Awards during an era of continued change in health care.
He said: “One thing that hasn’t changed is the skill and dedication of the health care professionals in West Yorkshire who have always worked tirelessly to look after our wellbeing. We are delighted to be able to recognise their continued commitment to providing the very highest level of care and service especially in these challenging times.”
- Mental Health Worker of the Year
- Doctor of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Unsung Hero
- Nurse of the Year
- Emergency Response Worker of the Year
- Midwife of the Year
- Carer of the Year
- Special Contribution Award
- Community Health Award
HOW TO ENTER
- Alternatively, you can send your nominations to Olivia Richards, Yorkshire Post Newspapers, No1 Leeds, 26 Whitehall Road, Leeds, LS12 1BE. Please mark your entry with the category and provide your nominee’s full name, job title, work address and telephone number and if possible an email address. Also include your own name, address, phone number and email address, as well as 200 words explaining why you have made the nomination.
The closing date for nominations is October 19.
- Winners will be picked by a panel of judges and revealed at an awards lunch on December 7.
- If you have any questions regarding the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 2388134.