Wetherby WEIR was saved and preserved by the Wetherby Weir Preservation Trust in 1982.
Whetherby is an extremely old town, dating back more than a thousand years. Certainly, there has been a market held there since 1240, when Henry III granted the knights Templar permission to hold one.
Wetherby was subjected to frequent raids by the Scots and it was sacked on more than one occasion. The town also used to have a castle, which was built around 1140 by the Percy family but was later demolished and now has flats built on the site.
Returning to the weir, it is thought to have been in operation since the 12th Century and even in 1800, when landscapes were painted of the town, some show repairs being made to it.
Wetherby played a small part in the Civil War in 1644. Before marching to Tadcaster and on to Marston Moor, the Parliamentarians spent two days in Wetherby while joining forces with the Scots. Oliver Cromwell stayed in the Half Moon Inn, in Collingham before the Battle of Marston Moor.
Wetherby Preservation Trust reconstructed the weir as we see it today in 1982. The weir is now a key part of the Wharfe Riverside Walk.