Leeds nostalgia: September 1947: Housewives to the rescue

editorial image
0
Have your say

Children get themselves into all kinds of scrapes and that is as true today as it was 70 years ago, as the Yorkshire Evening Post from that day testifies.

We begin with two Leeds housewives, who dug with their bare hands to free an 11-year-old schoolgirl who became trapped in debris after the wall of a derelict building fell on top of her as she walked home from school in Meanwood.

The girl, Norma Dunhill, of Samuel Street, Leeds, was said to be using a shortcut when the accident happened. Her friend, June Wainwright saw the wall collapsing and managed to fling herself clear but Norma was caught and trapped against another wall.

The two housewives who came to the rescue were Mrs E Cooper, of Samuel Street and her sister Mrs E Place, of Elmwood Vale.

Mrs Cooper said: “Only her head was clear of the debris but my sister ran to her side and began to dig her out.”

Norma was then taken to a nearby house and given first aid before being taken to Leeds General Infirmary with multiple injuries.

The same paper, from September 26, carries a report of other children being injured. Six were taken to hospital after mishaps with toys.

Colin Morton, nine, from Recreation Street, Holbeck, swallowed lead binoculars from a Christmas cracker but was sent home and told to report back the following day for an x-ray.

Barbara Hebden, three, from Seacroft, swallowed laburnum seeds and was detained with ‘mild poisoning’ and an Otley girl was admitted to hospital with a piece of chalk stuck in her ear, while Christine Nelson, three, from Temple Walk, Halton, had a pea stuck in her nose and Joan Hodson, 10, from Ashton Road, swallowed a halfpenny.

Leeds nostalgia: Woman had natural ‘petrol well’ in cellar in 1947