There are some areas of Leeds which just seem to have the ability to resist the passage of time and this view of the Leeds Liverpool Canal at Rodley shows one of them.
The original black and white image was taken on November 1, 1968, while the more modern image (used to create the ‘blended’ picture above) was taken in August this year.
Just about the only thing which seems to have changed in both pictures are that some of the trees have grown noticeably bigger. Aside from the boats (and even they look similar), pretty much everything is as it was more than 40 years ago.
This area - between pubs as it is - at Rodley has long been popular with walkers. It is near to the nature reserve and has three pubs within a five minute walk, The Owl, Rodley Barge and, a short walk down the canal, The Railway Inn.
It’s an idyllic stretch of canal by all accounts. Indeed, were it not for local knowledge, looking at the original picture, one could almost mistake it for the east coast.
The nature reserve was considered as far back as 1992 by Yorkshire Water, who owned the land and came up with the idea as a means of landscaping the former sewage treatment plant.
The wetland nature reserve stands between the canal and the River Aire and is home to many birds and other creatures and it is managed and run by the Rodley Nature Reserve Trust.
It was eventually opened in 2000 and is home to many swans, storks, herons and waterfowl, not to mention reptiles, insects and mammals.
Rodley village is not recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book, although several nearby places such as Horsforth, Calverley, Farsley and Bramley are. The earliest use of the name Rodley appears to be “Rodele”, who was listed as a tenant in in Yorkshire in 1157.