The Leeds glazier who restored the beauty of York Minster’s famous East Window, Herbert Nowland, died in tragic circumstances.
An inquest into his death revealed he died after leaving his gas oven on, leading to a build-up of carbon monoxide, which brought on heart failure. His son, Albert, of Garfield Avenue, Armley, said his father had lived alone since his wife died in 1958.
The story appeared in the YEP in January 1972.
It was revealed at the inquest that Mr Nowland had no sense of smell and that he had previously left gas taps on by accident.
Mr Nowland worked for 11 years on the East Window, retiring in 1956.
He was a member of the Glaziers Trust, which turned 50 in July last year. It was formed after the Zeppelin raid of May 1916m which saw bombs dropped on York, killing nine and injuring over 40 others.