Hunslet Mill is a Grade II* listed building built in 1838 and 1842 by William Fairbairn for John Wilkinson, with later alterations by John Clark.
William Fairbairn was the leading engineer and designer of mill buildings in the first half of the 19th Century and was responsible for Armley Mills and Saltaire Mill.
In 1842 John Clark was employed as architect, probably for the refronting of the Goodman Street facade when the range was raised from two to three storeys. By 1847 Wilkinson employed 1,500 female flax reelers in the largest single-build mill in Leeds. The last and individually the largest of the great flax-spinning mills built in Leeds throughout the 1820s and 30s, the first having been established by John Marshall, Marshall Mills. The west range was demolished in 1986. Victoria Works is a Grade II listed building built between 1835-38 for WB Holdsworth.
Holdsworth had a mill at Lands Court before moving to the open fields, probably owned by George Goodman, c1835; there were buildings on this site by 1840.
The seven-storey red brick mill building is currently owned by developers, however, any scheme has yet to come to fruition.
In November, the YEP reported how Leeds Civic Trust was worries about possible water ingress into the building.
Jenna Richardson, from the trust, said the building’s “sheer vastness” made it special but added: “The worst thing for a derelict building is water ingress. Once water gets in, it leads to damage and the whole thing could become structurally unsafe.”