These days Temple Newsam is one of the jewels in Leeds’s crown - a green and pleasant oasis on the edge of the city but it was once a country pile, home to one of the most powerful men in the United Kingdom.
Temple Newsam is famous as the birth place of Lord Darnley, notorious husband of Mary Queen of Scots.
The building itself is a Tudor-Jacobean mansion and in the past has been described as one of the best examples of such architecture in Britain.
In the Domesday Book the property is known as Neuhusam and was owned by Ilbert de Lacy. Before that it had been owned by Dunstan and Glunier, Anglo-Saxon thanes. Around 1155 it was given to the Knights Templar until they were suppressed in the 14th Century and the estate was handed to Sir Philip Darcy. Temple Newsam House was built between 1500 and 1520. Leeds Corporation compulsory purchased part of the estate in 1909 to build a sewage works and begin coal mining, the house and remaining land being acquired for a nominal sum in 1922, after which the building was restored.
Henry Stewart or Stuart, 1st Duke of Albany (1545-1567)was king consort of Scotland from 1565 until his murder at Kirk o’ Field in 1567.
He was the second but eldest surviving son of Matthew Stewart, 4th Earl of Lennox, and his wife, Lady Margaret Douglas.
Darnley’s maternal grandparents were Archibald Douglas, sixth Earl of Angus, and Margaret Tudor, daughter of Henry VII of England and widow of James IV, king of Scots.