A national health chief has urged people in West Yorkshire to highlight the region’s marvellous midwives.
Cathy Warwick, chief executive of the Royal College of Midwives, has backed our bid to recognise health heroes as part of the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, sponsored by Sovereign Health Care.
We want readers to nominate those invaluable people who help us deliver new lives safely into the world and are a fantastic support to parents during the time they need it the most.
The area’s midwifery talent has been showcased by Channel 4’s One Born Every Minute and we want to do more to praise the work of the very best.
Nominations are open for our awards, which will be hosted by the BBC’s Clare Frisby at The Queens Hotel on December 7.
Ms Warwick explained that she is “delighted” by our attempts to recognise the important contribution of our midwives. She said: “Midwives care for women during the entire period of pregnancy, labour and after the birth. Virtually all pregnant women access maternity services and for some of them this will be their first or one of their very few encounters with health service.
“This is why it is so important to value and recognise the contribution of midwives.”
Last year’s winner Jan Hall, who is based at Dewsbury District Hospital, was dubbed a “Godsend” for her work supporting families who sadly lost their babies by running a monthly bereavement group.
This year we are aiming to recognise top health workers in 10 categories including carers, nurses and emergency response workers. The closing date for entries is October 19.
- Mental Health Worker of the Year
- Doctor of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Unsung Hero
- Nurse of the Year
- Midwife of the Year
- Carer of the Year
- Special Contribution Award
- Community Health Award
HOW TO ENTER
- Alternatively, you can send your nominations to Olivia Richards, Yorkshire Post Newspapers, No1 Leeds, 26 Whitehall Road, Leeds, LS12 1BE. Please mark your entry with the category and provide your nominee’s full name, job title, work address and telephone number and if possible an email address. Also include your own name, address, phone number and email address, as well as 200 words explaining why you have made the nomination.
- The closing date for nominations is October 19.
- Winners will be picked by a panel of judges and revealed at an awards lunch on December 7.
- If you have any questions regarding the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 2388134.