Passionate practitioners are the linchpins of health care – and we want to hear why your doctor deserves to praised.
To recognise the enormous contributions that top class clinicians make to our region, we are calling for readers to nominate their Doctor of the Year for the Yorkshire Evening Post’s Best of Health Awards for 2015.
Through this category, sponsored by Nuffield Health, we are looking for a star doctor who could be a highly regarded GP, diagnosing day-to-day health issues, getting to know families and supporting them through life’s ups and downs. Or they might be working in a hospital, specialising in a particular field in the public or private sector.
Readers have until October 19 to nominate their health heroes as part of our fourth annual Best of Health Awards, sponsored by Sovereign Health Care, which will be hosted by BBC presenter Clare Frisby at The Queens Hotel on December 7.
Julian Hartley, chief executive of Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, believes the awards offer people the chance to praise health care staff who have “gone the extra mile”.
He said: “These awards are great way of recognising our hardworking staff here in our community. I will be watching with interest to see who is nominated this year. I really hope these awards are the best yet.”
Doctor of the Year is one of 10 categories for which we are seeking nominations. Last year’s winner was Dr Safia Jabeen, of Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust. She set up the female-only Chandni Clinic to meet the sexual health needs of Muslim women in a bid to tackle cultural and communication barriers. She also won the Overall Judges’ Award.
Our other categories aim to praise the likes of carers, midwives, nurses, emergency response and mental health staff.
After the closing date for entries of October 19, our judges will draw up a shortlist for each category. The judges will pick the winners based on information in the nominations.
HOW TO ENTER
- Alternatively, you can send your nominations to Olivia Richards, Yorkshire Post Newspapers, No1 Leeds, 26 Whitehall Road, Leeds, LS12 1BE. Mark your entry with the category and provide your nominee’s full name, job title, work address, telephone number and email address. Also include your own name, address, phone number and email address, as well as 200 words explaining your nomination.
- Winners will be picked by a panel of judges and revealed at an awards lunch on December 7.
- If you have any questions regarding the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, email email@example.com or call 0113 2388134.
- Mental Health Worker of the Year
- Doctor of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Unsung Hero
- Nurse of the Year
- Emergency Response Worker of the Year
- Midwife of the Year
- Carer of the Year
- Special Contribution Award
- Community Health Award