Today we reveal the names of the heroic health care workers and teams across our region who are in with a chance of winning at the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015.
Following a six-week period in which we called for patients, coworkers, relatives and health care chiefs to tell us who was worthy of high profile praise we can release our final shortlist in full.
Almost 100 nominations to the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, sponsored by Sovereign Health Care, have been whittled down to an exceptional roster of volunteers and workers in all areas of the health sector who have demonstrated their willingness to go the extra mile for those that they care for.
All the shortlisted nominees are invited to our glitzy awards lunch hosted by BBC presenter Clare Frisby at The Queens Hotel, in Leeds, on December 7, when the winners will be announced.
Nicola Furbisher, managing director of the YEP, said: “We have been hugely impressed by the calibre of this year’s entries and are delighted to reveal our shortlist.
“We would like to thank everyone who entered the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015 and shown us all once again how fantastic health care workers in our region really are.
“It will be amazing to congratulate some of these deserving people at next month’s awards.”
The award categories span doctors, nurses, mental health staff, midwives, carers and top teams. We also introduced new ‘Special Contribution’ and ‘Community Health Award’ gongs to open the process up to more people this year.
The nominee who especially impressed our judging panel of retired nursing chief Betty Smithson, Healthwatch Leeds director Tanya Matilainen and Sovereign chief executive Russ Piper will also given the Overall Judges’ Award.
We first invited entries in 10 categories of our fourth annual awards in September.
For further information visit www2.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/healthawards2015.
SHORTLIST IN FULL
Mental Health Worker of the Year
- David Davies, Ossett Mental Health Team
- Katie Whitehouse, Aurora Psychotherapist Women’s Counselling and Therapy Service
- Mike Snelling, Intensive Community Services at Aire Court, Leeds
- Nicky Taylor, West Yorkshire Playhouse
Doctor of the Year
- Jason Sangha, Leeds St James’s Hospital
- Christopher Fenn, Spire Leeds Hospital
- Elizabeth Martin, North Leeds Medical Practice
- Nigel Bew, Street Lane Practice
Team of the Year
- Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice
- Rehabilitation and Recovery Service by Leeds and York NHS Foundation Trust, Community Links, Touchstone and Mind
- Mike Crothers and team at St John Ambulance
- HMYOI Wetherby
- Organ Donation Team at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Restart a Heart Team, Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Mark Coupland, St John Ambulance
- Jon Ainley, Yorkshire Ambulance Service and The Encephalitis Society
- Rayne Sutcliffe, St John Ambulance
- Emma Kirke, Medicinal Kitchen
Nurse of the Year
- Charlene Graham, Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice
- Jenny Stevenson, HMYOI Wetherby
- Jody Hill, Leeds St James’s Hospital
- Claire Ferris, Leeds St James’s Hospital
Emergency Response Worker of the Year
- Gareth Ross, Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Sean Ridley, Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Graham Pace, St John Ambulance
- Steven Hudson, St John Ambulance
Midwife of the Year
- Joanna Jones, Leeds St James’s Hospital
- Louise Holt, Leeds General Infirmary
- Helen Woollatt, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
Carer of the Year
- Amanda Hession
- Jakub Keller, Allied Healthcare
- Jo Sadler, Carers Wakefield and District
Special Contribution Award
- Tina Suryavansi and family
- Ami and Liam Duggleby
- Michael Jackson, St John Ambulance
- Heather Nelson, Black Health Initiative
Community Health Award
- Sarah Goodwin, Walking for Health volunteer scheme
- Kay Spivey, Boots
- Black Health Initiative
- Dr George Winder, Paula Hardy and the Practice Health Champions, Oakwood Lane Medical Centre
- Simon Agabeg, New Smile Dental Care
- John Walsh, York Street Health Practice