We’re looking for the best of the best when it comes to nursing as we call for nominations for your health heroes.
We are urging people across West Yorkshire to tell us about the health care workers and volunteers who have gone the extra mile for others ahead of the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, which is sponsored by Sovereign Health Care.
And our Nurse of the Year award, sponsored by Covance, will recognise nurses who are dedicated and devoted to each and every one of their patients.
Whether they work on hospital wards, in the community or elsewhere, we want to know about why the deserve to be given this accolade before the closing date for entries of October 19.
This top award will be presented to our winner at a glitzy awards lunch hosted by BBC presenter Clare Frisby at The Queens Hotel on December 7.
Retired head of nursing for Leeds, Betty Smithson, who is part of our Best of Health judging panel, said: “I would encourage any patient who has had excellent treatment with regards to their nursing to nominate them.
“The nursing standard is incredible at the moment and everybody appreciates it – there are so many who do valuable work and deserve to be recognised.
“Everybody does a job but a lot of people go the extra mile.”
Last year’s winner, Jane Nicholson, was hailed as “wonder woman” by one patient for her valiant work as a Macmillan breast care nurse in Leeds supporting patients with breast cancer.
Her exemplary work, in giving patients everything from kind words of reassurance and regular visits to messages, phone calls and hugs, was singled out by a touching letter of nomination.
Nominees could be a practice nurse in a GP surgery, providing care to patients with a whole range of conditions, or they might be working in another health care setting like a nursing home or hospice, giving hands on support that makes them stand out from the rest. The might work with older people, adults, children, on a neo natal ward, in theatre, as a health visitor or in a secure setting like a prison or mental health unit.
Nurse of the Year is one of 10 categories for which we are seeking nominations this year.
HOW TO ENTER
- Alternatively, you can send your nominations to Olivia Richards, Yorkshire Post Newspapers, No1 Leeds, 26 Whitehall Road, Leeds, LS12 1BE. Mark your entry with the category and provide your nominee’s full name, job title, work address, telephone number and email address. Also include your own name, address, phone number and email address, as well as 200 words explaining your nomination.
- Winners will be picked by a panel of judges and revealed at an awards lunch on December 7.
- If you have any questions regarding the YEP Best of Health Awards 2015, email email@example.com or call 0113 2388134.
- Mental Health Worker of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Unsung Hero
- Nurse of the Year
- Emergency Response Worker of the Year
- Midwife of the Year
- Carer of the Year
- Special Contribution Award