Rugby Union: Bonus point for Otley despite away day defeat

Sandal's James Briscoe scored a try hat-trick at Chester.
Sandal's James Briscoe scored a try hat-trick at Chester.
Have your say

Otley secured a four-try bonus-point in an enthralling 38-27 defeat at Macclesfield in National 2 North.

The visitors suffered a set-back early on after conceding a try but went straight down the other end and, from a driving maul, flanker Matthew Heaton scored. Skipper Stephen Depledge added the conversion then a penalty.

He then scored his side’s second which was converted to make it 17-5. Macclesfield hit back with two tries but Otley had the lead at the break after winger Henry Roberts went in at the corner.

The hosts scored three unanswered tries to take a stranglehold after the break but Otley kept fighting to the end and with time ticking down winger Alex Beaumont was able to get away from the defensive cover for his side’s fourth try.

A hat-trick from James Briscoe helped Sandal to secure a 22-14 victory at Chester.

The visitors trailed 6-0 in the early stages before flanker Briscoe steadied the ship with a pushover try. A third penalty put the hosts further ahead but the gap was just a point at the interval following a penalty by fly-half Mark Pease.

Sandal took the lead when Briscoe crossed again from a pushover and Pease converted and the third try came when the No.6 peeled off a scrum and dived over, leaving the conversion to make it 22-9. Chester added a try when Sandal were down to 14 men but, despite having pressure on the line towards the end, the Sandal defence never looked like being breeched.

National 2 North leaders Sedgley Park made light work of visitors Harrogate.

It finished 35-11 in favour of the table-topping hosts. Lewis Minikin kicked two penalties and set up Harry Parrish for an excellent team try, scored before a converted, injury-time touchdown stretched the hosts’ advantage.

Morley meanwhile failed to win for the first time this season after being held to a 15-all draw at Morpeth.

The Maroons went into the game unbeaten in six and looking to stretch the run against a side sitting fifth in the table. Despite a positive first 30 minutes, Morley had to rely on Mark Chester penalties to keep them in the game.

In National 1, Wharfedale were edged out 27-24 at Blackheath.