Redpath is happy as Carnegie win again

Ryan Burrows
Ryan Burrows
Have your say

Yorkshire Carnegie boss Bryan Redpath admitted he was pleased with his side’s periods of “real control” as they maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with a 39-29 win over London Scottish.

Two tries each for Rob O’Donnell and the returning Stevie McColl proved decisive along with one for captain Ryan Burrows.

McColl’s effort was even more impressive given that he sustained a dead leg in the opening ten minutes and continued until the 70th before being replaced by Alex Gray.

Redpath said: “I think any five-point win is good and I think there were stages of the game when we had real control and I think it was just the last ten minutes where we were lacking. Credit to Scottish who threw the ball around and got two runaway tries.

“Its pleasing going into the winter months that we know we have a pack and a back line that can score.”

Carnegie got off to the perfect start when Alex Davies’ quick-tap penalty caught Scottish napping and McColl chipped ahead and finished off his own move. Joe Ford made no mistake with the conversion.

The home side were then punished for an infringement at the breakdown and Rory Clegg cut the deficit to four points against his former club.

Carnegie were then reduced to 14 men when Seb Stegmann was punished for not releasing Jason Harries, who was bearing down on the try line.

But disaster soon turned to triumph. Scottish tried to work the ball wide from the resulting penalty but McColl intercepted and ran the length of the field to score. Ford kicked the extras.

Carnegie were not fazed by being a man down and they increased their lead further through a neatly-taken drop goal by Ford.

A Yorkshire trademark of recent years has been the rolling maul and it brought about their third as O’Donnell touched down.

But Scottish hit back immediately with a try through hooker David Cherry as the Carnegie defence was caught sleeping.

The lead though was soon back up to 15 points when Ford knocked over his first penalty.

But on the stroke of half-time Scottish got back into it with some poor defending that allowed winger Alec Coombes to sprint over.

Fortunately though for Redpath’s men Clegg missed the tricky conversion.

Carnegie’s first points of the second period came from a scrum penalty that was kicked to the corner.

From the resulting five-metre lineout the Scottish defence fell apart and O’Donnell dotted down for his second score and the bonus point.

Ex-Sale fly-half Ford kicked the conversion. Dean Schofield’s charge forward released captain Burrows who went over under the posts.

An excellent tackle from McColl prevented Patrick Kelly from scoring, but from the next phase Hugh Fraser found the base of the post padding for Scottish’s third, with the visitors’ Craig Holland diving over in the corner to collect a consolation bonus point.

Yorkshire Carnegie: McColl (Gray 70), Goss, Forsyth, Lucock, Stegmann, Ford, Davies (Green 63), Boyce (Imiolek 54), Nilsen (Graham 54), O’Donnell (Parker 64), Schofield (Whetton 58), Smith, Beck, Saull (Walker 54), Burrows (c).

London Scottish: Holland, Coombes (Sheppard 47), Fergusson, Kelly, Harries, Clegg, Hoadley (Fraser 54), Harris (Shiells 66), Cherry (Hope 60), Koroi (Cringle 60), Bartle (c), Patrick (McGeechie 50), Kenny (Atkinson 65), Marley, Miller.

Referee: Christophe Ridley.