Lions maul Otley to ruin anniversary celebrations

Otley in action against Leicester Lions.
Otley in action against Leicester Lions.
Have your say

OTLEY’S 150th anniversary celebrations fell flat following a 29-10 home defeat at the hands of Leicester Lions in National Two North.

With a bumper crowd at Cross Green a big performance was hoped for, but it failed to materialise as the hosts failed to take numerous chances.

Having had to make three changes, Otley were in trouble when, on 20 minutes, marksman Joshua Cruise hobbled off and then, just before the break, Mike Coady was yellow-carded.

Cruise had given Otley the lead with a penalty but converted tries from Oliver Taylor and Robert Young put the Lions ahead. Winger Alexander Beaumont went in at the corner and Sam Allen converted before the break.

Although dominant throughout most of the second half, Otley failed to score whilst Lions made the most of their chances with converted tries from scrum-half Adam Shaw and No 7 Oliver Pavoas.

A dominant Harrogate scrum was the key to a comprehensive 27-18 win at Luctonians. The first score was a home penalty from Johnny Morris.

Dazzling Harrogate back attacks followed but their first try came after Andy Boyde stripped the ball from a Lucs forward drive and ran 20 metres to the line with power and pace. Bottomley was in support to score.

No 8 Danny Smith crashed over for the hosts but Bottomley made it 10-8 at the interval.

Morris’s kick put Lucs back in front but the Harrogate backs took control. Minikin’s penalty restored the lead before he converted his own try.

Callum Irvine, Harrogate’s replacement stand-off, intercepted to race in from halfway.

Sandal made it two wins from two after promotion with a 12-6 home victory over a big and powerful Stourbridge side.

Greg Wood kicked three penalties for a 9-0 half-time lead. Stourbridge pulled back a penalty but that was cancelled out when fly-half Wood added his fourth to make it 12-3.

Wharfedale rallied from 26-5 down at the break but still lost 46-26 at home to Esher in National One.

Paul Roberts started the scoring with a penalty after 19 minutes. This was soon followed by tries from Alistair Chisholm and Spencer Sutherland, both converted by Roberts.

Adam Howard crossed for Dale but Esher finished the first-half scoring with a long-range penalty from Roberts and another converted try from Andrew Wright. Howard crossed for his second to start the second half and Jamie Guy then added the two points.

The Surrey side then scored three tries with a combination of strong forward play and good running from the backs.

Thomas Yellowlees, Spencer Sutherland and Andrew Wright touched down with Roberts converting two and hitting the post with his final attempt.

Wharfedale finished strongly with tries from Oliver Cicognini and Daniel Tai Sen Choy, which Lloyd Davies converted.