Bottom side stun Farsley Celtic at Throstle Nest

Farsley Celtic were stunned by bottom-of-the-table Sutton Coldfield Town at a cold and bitter Throstle Nest, as they were defeated 1-0, with Sutton putting in a fighting performance, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 26th November 2017, 10:59 pm
Updated Wednesday, 6th December 2017, 11:50 am
Adam Priestley.
Adam Priestley.

It was Gurjit Singh who gave the visitors the crucial early lead, the ball dropping kindly to Singh on the edge of the box and he fired home on the half-volley.

Danny O’Callaghan went close for Sutton, as he raced through on goal despite appearing to be offside, however he was denied by Kyle Trenerry who raced off his line to close the angle and make the stop.

Farsley then had a fantastic chance to equalise at the start of the second half, as Adam Priestley made a bursting run down the right and his cross found its way through to Ben Atkinson, with his shot travelling inches wide of the upright.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Priestley had a chance with five minutes remaining as he was picked out by Paul Walker but failed to keep his shot down with Draper doing well to narrow the angle, and Sutton were able to hang on for their first three points since September.

Elsewhere, Tadcaster Albion were held to a 1-1 draw by 10-man Trafford. Trafford had Paul Linwood dismissed in the first half for deliberate handball, with Conor Sellars scoring a second-half penalty to give Tadcaster the lead. However, Kingsley Williams scored the equaliser with 15 minutes remaining.

Ossett Albion were defeated 4-1 by Clitheroe, despite Tommy Wood giving Albion an early lead. Daniel Brady equalised before Kurt Willoughby scored two second-half penalties and Alex Newby secured victory late on.

Mossley came from behind to defeat Brighouse Town 2-1 who remain 20th in the division. Marcus Day gave Town the lead, before Mason Duffy equalised and Michael Fish scored a last-gasp winner, whilst Ossett Town lost 1-0 to Kendal Town thanks to a Connor Gaul strike.

In Division 1 South, Frickley Athletic lost 2-1 to Lincoln United. Andrew Toyne gave Lincoln the lead from the spot, before Jacob Hazel equalised. But it was Lincoln who won it through Matthew Cotton as he scored with minutes remaining.


A 90th-minute goal from Kane Reece helped Pontefract Collieries chalk up a 2-1 win over Maltby Main and keep the pressure on NCE Premier Division leaders Handsworth Parramore.

Samuel Forster gave Maltby the lead after 15 minutes only for Mark Whitehouse to equalise three minutes later before Reece’s late intervention. The result leaves second-placed Pontefract one point off the leaders with three games in hand.

Pickering Town dropped to fourth place after a 2-2 draw at home to Bridlington Town.

Goals from Ryan Blott and Daniel Gray gave Pickering a 2-0 advantage but a second-half brace from Jake Day earned Bridlington a point.

Fifth-placed Hemsworth MW drew 2-2 at Parkgate.

Nash Connolly and Richard Collier netted for Hemsworth but Daniel Flynn’s brace got Parkgate back into the game.

Garforth Town and Harrogate Railway were involved in an entertaining 4-4 draw.

Mark Simpson (2), Daniel Coupland and Lee Turner netted for Town while on the scoresheet for Railway were Lincoln Adams, Shane Hamilton, Elliott Williams and an own goal.

It’s as you were at the top of Division One after 2-0 victories for leaders Knaresborough Town and second-placed Yorkshire Amateur.

Town defeated AFC Emley thanks to goals from Dominic Wilson and Daniel Thirkell (penalty) while Amateur won at Retford with Daniel Maw and T’nique Fishley netting.

Goals from Ryan Woodhead and Liam Flanagan helped fifth-placed Selby Town secure a 2-0 victory at Winterton Rangers.

Glasshoughton Welfare claimed a 3-0 win at Hallam thanks to goals from Andrew McManus, Andrew Horbury and Reece Horn.

Elsewhere, two late goals from the hosts meant Nostell Miners Miners Welfare got nothing from their trip to Bolsover.

Carl Heard gave Nostell the lead on 71 minutes but they could not hang on.