Wakefield Wildcats mauled by Wolves

WAKEFIELD Trinity Wildcats suffered the most embarrassing afternoon in their Super League history as they were destroyed 80-0 at Warrington Wolves

Saturday, 11th April 2015, 4:22 pm

Wakefield conceded 14 tries en-route to an eighth successive defeat, which leaves them three points adrift at the foot of the table.

It was 30-0 at the interval, Warrington scoring four tries in the second quarter after a tight opening to the game.

Jarrod Sammut and Danny Kirmond held Warrington debutant Declan Patton up over the line early on and Joel Monaghan had a touchdown ruled out for a forward pass, from Stefan Ratchford, before Gene Ormsby cruised past Richard Owen and Sammut for the opening try on nine minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Toby King ran over Sammut for the hosts’ second touchdown on 21, then Richie Myler’s kick hit a post and rebounded into the arms of Daryl Clark, after 28.

Myler scored from a scrum inside Warrington’s half six minutes before the break and four later Ashton Simos powered over following an error by Joe Arundel.

Ratchford converted all five first half tries, but missed with a penalty from half-way after the hooter had sounded.

The first half was poor from Wakefield, but what followed was an embarrassment as Warrington scored tries on 47, 49, 56, 57, 60, 66, 68, 75 and 78 minutes.

The rout began when Ormsby intercepted for his second, then Ratchford crossed after Sammut kicked the re-start out on the full.

Ben Westwood pounced on an error to go over, before Chris Bridge’s kick bounced off Chris Riley straight to Monaghan.

King scored his second touchdown on the hour, off Ben Currie’s offload and Wakefield held out for the next six minutes until Myler crossed from James Laithwaite’s break and then Currie went over from the re-start before Monaghan set Myler up to complete his hat-trick and then Currie crossed again.

Ratchford’s 12th goal, from the touchline, completed the scoring.