Wakefield Wildcats: St Helens show champion class to fend off Wildcats

Matty Ashurst
Matty Ashurst
Have your say

Former captain Paul Wellens marked his first appearance of the season with his 199th Super League try to help injury-hit St Helens maintain their 100 per cent record with a nailbiting 20-16 win at Wakefield.

Wakefield had their chances to avoid a second successive defeat but at least they restored their pride following their 58-16 humiliation at Widnes.

St Helens coach Keiron Cunningham opted to revert to a half-back pairing of Jon Wilkin and Wellens, with a combined age of 65, and it was looking good when Wellens made the most of a break by Jonny Lomax to score the game’s first try.

Mark Percival added the goal to make it 6-0.

Wakefield equalised against the run of play when stand-off Jacob Miller produced a lovely pick-up to get loose forward Matty Ashurst over for a try which Craig Hall goaled.

Saints were already without full-back Lomax, who was hurt going up for a high ball, and they lost forward Luke Thompson with concussion following a clash with team-mate Mose Masoe and Percival with a knee injury in the space of two minutes.

As play swung from end to end, Miller and St Helens second rower Joe Greenwood both spilled chances before Wakefield centre Reece Lyne put his side in front for the first time six minutes before half-time.

The former Hull man set up the scoring position with an interception and he got on the end of full-back Craig Hall’s pass to touch down, with Hall kicking his second goal to make it 12-6.

The Wildcats twice went close to increasing their lead within five minutes of the restart, with Lyne and winger Chris Riley having tries disallowed, and the misses soon began to look costly.

Prop forward Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, swooped on a loose pass and went 50 metres upfield to set up the position for their second try, with Greenwood going through the scattered defence on the next play.

Makinson kicked the conversion to level the scores and put over a penalty on 50 minutes to restore his side’s lead.

Four minutes later Wakefield failed to clear the danger caused by Wilkin’s high kick and centre Jordan Turner pounced. Makinson’s third goal opened up an eight-point lead but Wakefield winger Richard Owen gave his side renewed hope 11 minutes from the end when he finished off good work by Dean Collis.

Wakefield: Hall, Riley, Collis, Lyne, Owen, Miller, D. Smith, T. Smith, Washbrook, Scruton, Kirmond, Ashurst, Ryan. Subs: Lauitiiti, McShane, Simon, Paea.

St Helens: Lomax, Makinson, Percival, Turner, Swift, Wellens, Wilkin, Walmsley, Roby, Richards, Vea, Greenwood, Flanagan. Subs: Masoe, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Thompson, Hohaia.

Referee: Robert Hicks (RFL).