Wakefield Trinity Wildcats: Westerman denies Trinity with last kick of the match

Reece Lyne
Reece Lyne
Share this article
Have your say

Joe Westerman held his nerve to kick a last-gasp conversion which gave Hull FC a share of spoils and denied Wakefield Trinity Wildcats a third straight First Utility Super League victory.

Wakefield survived an early onslaught by Hull after conceding a series of penalties and continued to spend most of their time in their own half as the visitors enjoyed the better of the opening 15 minutes.

The Wildcats worked their way into the contest and missed a golden opportunity to score the first try of the afternoon when Richard Owen dropped a long pass by Tim Smith with the line at his mercy.

The first score finally came six minutes from the break as Setaimata Sa showed good strength to touch down in the corner after receiving a pass from Jamie Shaul, whose initial break gave Hull good field position for an enterprising passage of play.

Wakefield had given as good as they got in the first 40 minutes and grabbed a deserved try just before the half-time hooter when former Leeds full-back Richie Mathers went through a gap in Hull’s defence and finished despite losing his footing.

Paul Sykes followed debutant Jordan Abdull in converting from out wide to put the Wildcats on level terms at the break.

Wakefield quickly found themselves behind again in the early stages of the second half and Sa was heavily involved once more, this time getting his hands free in the tackle and sending Horne over with a brilliant offload.

The Wildcats benefited from a wicked bounce of the ball from Smith’s kick which bamboozled Shaul and allowed Chris Riley to touch down, but they were behind for the third time in the game just two minutes later.

Scott Anderson dropped the ball from the restart and Hull crossed in the next set as Shaul redeemed himself with a perfectly-timed pass to put Yeaman over.

Wakefield refused to lie down and were back on level terms again courtesy of a superb solo effort by Reece Lyne, who picked the ball up near halfway and combined speed and strength to score in the corner.

The hosts edged in front eight minutes from time when Paul McShane darted from dummy half and fed Nick Scruton, who sidestepped his way through from close range.

Wakefield looked most likely to score again but there was time for one more twist in the tale, Westerman sending his first kick of the afternoon between the uprights after Airlie Birds centre Kirk Yeaman coasted in down the Trinity left.

Wakefield: Mathers, Owen, Ryan, Lyne, Riley, Sykes, T. Smith, Anderson, McShane, Scruton, Gilmour, Kirmond, Washbrook. Subs: Godinet, Moore, D. Smith, Tautai.

Hull: Shaul, Lineham, Sa, Yeaman, Talanoa, Abdull, Horne, Paea, Houghton, Watts, Ellis, Tuson, Westerman. Subs: Paleaaesina, Thompson, Heremaia, Whiting.

Referee: Richard Silverwood (RFL).

Attendance: 5,168.

Chris Chester.

Catalans Dragons v Wakefield Trinity: Chester happy with favourites’ tag