Match report: London Broncos 0 Wakefield Wildcats 28

Have your say

Ben Cockayne ran in two tries as Wakefield inflicted more misery on the London Broncos.

Cockayne, who grabbed three tries against Hull KR last weekend, crossed for a try in each half as the Wildcats dominated from virtually first whistle to last.

For London, it was a third defeat on the bounce in the new season, with points difference keeping them off the foot of the table.

London were able to field a stronger starting line-up than the one that slumped at Huddersfield last weekend, with Craig Gower, Michael Witt, Michael Robertson and Matt Cook all returning from injury.

For the visitors, both Kyle Amor and Justin Poore shrugged off knocks to make the matchday squad.

Cockayne wasted little time in getting started, taking a pass from Reece Lyne to cruise over with just 50 seconds on the clock.

The impetus was very much with Wakefield, Danny Washbrook almost bursting through a gap minutes later as the Broncos struggled to find any momentum.

The Wildcats wasted another chance to stretch their lead midway through the half, Andy Raleigh spilling the ball close to the line as he looked to barge his way over.

London finally threatened after the away side were penalised three times in the space of a minute, only for the ball to go to ground after Gower was held up at the posts.

Although the Broncos were offering little as an attacking force, they were at least fronting up in defence, Shane Rodney the next to shine when he scragged Tim Smith as he looked certain to score.

Rodney produced more defensive heroics on 34 minutes, forcing Cockayne to knock on with the line at his mercy.

Wakefield wasted yet another opportunity before the break, Paul Sykes striking the post with a close-range penalty after Alex Hurst had been penalised for retaliation.

It was more of the same after the interval, Paul Aiton’s teasing kick through forcing Kieran Dixon to scramble across his line to clear.

But that proved brief respite for London, Sykes finally nudging the Wildcats further ahead on 45 minutes when he booted a penalty.

That seemed to lift the visitors into another gear, and they added their second try shortly afterwards when Danny Kirmond profited from some weak Broncos tackling to stroll over.

The game went into a lull after that, with London huffing and puffing with little reward.

Wakefield showed them how it should be done on 58 minutes, a searing break from Ali Lauitiiti seeing Cockayne on hand to cross in the corner.

The hosts thought they were finally on the board midway through the half when Dixon raced clear to touch down from inside his own half, only for referee Phil Bentham to bring play back for a knock on.

And seconds later the Wildcats rubbed salt into that wound, Peter Fox storming over in the corner to put Wakefield 22-0 up.

There was still time for the visitors to spurn another chance, Dean Collis wasting a two-on-one break when it looked easier to score.

But Richie Mathers ensured Wakefield did have a fifth try to celebrate, racing through a huge gap to touch down on 75 minutes.

NEW SIGNING: Wakefield Trinity.
head coach Chris Chester.
 Picture Jonathan Gawthorpe

Pauli Pauli tipped to provide X-Factor for Wakefield Trinity’s attacking intentions