Leeds Rhinos Flashback: Two decades of hurt ended by Rivetting display in Cup final

Leroy Rivett.
Leroy Rivett.
Have your say

More than two decades of hurt was forgotten in 80 magical minutes, 16 years ago this week.

Leeds Rhinos – coached by the late Graham Murray – went into the 1999 Challenge Cup final, on May 1, seeking to lift the trophy for the first time since 1978.

They were hot favourites against a London Broncos team who had hit a run of injuries and poor form since beating Castleford Tigers in a remarkable semi-final, at Headingley, six weeks earlier.

The night before the game, Leeds winger Leroy Rivett dreamed of scoring a hat-trick and being named Man of the Match. The reality was even better as he became the first – and so far only – player to touch down four times in a Challenge Cup final.

Rivett’s feat earned him the Lance Todd Trophy and a call-up into the train-on squad for that autumn’s Tri-Nations series, though he didn’t make the final cut.

Born in Leicester, Rivett was an unlikely hero in a tie – the last played at the old Wembley – which only followed the script in the final quarter, after London had threatened to pull off a stunning upset.

With former Wigan Cup winners Shaun Edwards and Martin Offiah in their side, London showed no fear and were 10-0 ahead after 11 minutes, through tries by Offiah and Robbie Simpson, plus a Rob Smyth conversion.

Remarkably, Leeds had been 10-0 down at a similar stage of their previous Cup final victory, against St Helens 21 years earlier.

A penalty goal by Iestyn Harris got them off the mark, then Rivett and Brad Godden touched down to edge Rhinos into a 12-10 interval lead.

An estimated 50,000 Leeds fans, in the crowd of 73,242, were rattled when Greg Fleming scored a converted try early in the second half to give London the lead for the second time.

A try by Barrie McDermott turned the contest, the prop stepping and crashing over following a tap penalty close to the line.

McDermott’s young son Billy was Leeds’ mascot on the day and now plays as a winger/centre for the club’s under-19s.

Rivett scored his second soon afterwards, Marcus St Hilaire went over and then Rivett intercepted on his own line and went the length of the field for a spectacular hat-trick try.

Harris and Francis Cummins also crossed before Rivett’s fourth completed a 52-16 record Cup final win. Harris finished with 20 points, from his try and eight goals.


Leeds Rhinos 52

(Tries: Rivett 4, Godden, McDermott, St Hilaire, Harris, Cummins. Goals: Harris 8)

London Broncos 16
(Tries: Offiah, Simpson, Fleming. Goals: Smyth 2)

Challenge Cup Final 
May 1, 1999

Leeds Rhinos: Harris, Rivett, Blackmore, Godden, Cummins, Powell, Sheridan, McDermott, Newton, Fleary, Morley, Farrell, Glanville. Subs: St Hilaire, Jackson, Hay, Mathiou.

London Broncos: Tollett, Smyth, Fleming, Timu, Offiah, Hammond, Edwards, Retchless, Beazley, Salter, Millard, Simpson, Gill. Subs: Toschack, Callaway, Ryan, Air.

Referee: Russell Smith.

Attendance: 73,242.