Here’s five things we learned from Leeds Rhinos’ 56-12 drubbing at Widnes Vikings in First Utility Super League round two.
1) It doesn’t take long to go from heroes to zeroes. Just two competitive games after they completed the treble Rhinos are bottom of Super League and it’s looking like being a long, tough season.
2) Liam Sutcliffe needs time. The talented young stand-off is two full matches into his return from a knee reconstruction, so don’t expect too much, too soon.
3) Knee injury victim Danny McGuire is a huge loss. Of all Rhinos’ current squad, McGuire is the one they can least afford to have on the long-term casualty list.
4) It will take a massive improvement even to compete with North Queensland Cowboys in the World Club Challenge. With respect to Widnes, Cowboys will pose a bigger threat.
5) Rhinos fans have a sense of humour. As a couple got engaged on the pitch at half-time the Leeds fans chanted: “You don’t know what you’re doing!”