Here’s Five things we learned from Leeds Rhinos’ 32-28 defeat at Catalans Dragons on Saturday.
1) Finishing in the top-four is a tall order now. Castleford Tigers lost their first three games last year and finished fifth.
2) There were signs of improvement, particularly in attack. After a laboured first half, Leeds scored four tries in the second 40 minutes.
3) The basics are letting Rhinos down. If they had cut out the errors and penalties, Leeds would be on two points now.
4) Kallum Watkins has had a slow start to the season, but when he hits his stride he is tough to stop. He provided a brilliant pass to send Mitch Achurch on a run and scored a stunning late try.
5) The effort and determination is there. Leeds staged a spirited fightback after a disastrous start to the second half, but weren’t smart enough.