Leeds Rhinos 50 Hull KR 0 Match report

editorial image
Have your say

WINGER TOM Briscoe made history and club legends Kevin Sinfield, Jamie Peacock and Kylie Leuluai all enjoyed a golden Wembley farewell as Leeds Rhinos thrashed Hull KR 50-0 to retain the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup.

It was a record margin, beating Leeds’ previous record of 52-16 from 1999 and Briscoe became the first man to score five tries in a Challenge Cup final.

Hull KR, in their first final since 1986, didn’t rise to the occasion and were second best throughout, trailing 16-0 at the break and conceding nine tries in all.

Rhinos were efficient rather than outstanding for the most part, though they scored some excellent tries and cut loose towards the end.

There were no shocks in either lineup.

Rhinos were as named by coach Brian McDermott on Friday and Albert Kelly - who was their best attacking threat - returned for Rovers, who preferred Mitch Allgood on the bench to James Green.

Brett Delaney was back for Leeds after a two-game layoff due to a hamstring injury and was a surprise first try scorer, after five minutes.

Peacock looked set to crash over from Adam Cuthbertson’s pass, but Kevin Larroyer stole the ball one-on-one, it went loose and Delaney touched down.

The video referees awarded the try and Sinfield converted.

Rovers had a chance when Shaun Lunt made a break, but Tyrone McCarthy dropped the pass. In the next set Peacock fed Joel Moon, he cut into space and Danny McGuire was in support to mark his 400th career appearance with a try.

Sinfield again added the extras, but hit a post moments later after Leeds’ third try. Ryan Hall returned the restart and send Carl Ablett clear.

He was pulled down, but Leeds moved play right and Zak Hardaker and Kallum Watkins worked the ball to Briscoe, who stepped over.

Rhinos could have had more tries, but Kieran Dixon held Hall up over the line and Leuluai also forced his way across the whitewash without getting the ball down.

Rovers needed to score first in the second half to have any chance, but Briscoe’s second on 47 minutes ended the game as any sort of contest.

Maurice Blair kicked high to the corner and the winger made the catch, brushed past Kieran Dixon and went the length of the field, carrying Ken Sio over with him.

Sinfield converted off a post and added another two point on 57 when Brad Singleton marked his Wembley debut with a try from Rob Burrow’s pass.

Briscoe completed his hat-trick with 14 minutes left, from Watkins’ pass and seven later great work in midfield by Watkins was finished off by Burrow, Sinfield goaling.

Briscoe equalled Leroy Rivett’s record, set in 1999, from Watkins’ pass a couple of minutes later and then Dixon’s error was pounced on by McGuire, who sent the winger in for his fifth.

Sinfield completed the scoring with his ninth conversion.