London Broncos 24 Hunslet Hawks 41: Hawks keep survival hopes alive with six-try triumph

Jack Lee
Jack Lee
Have your say

NEVER-SAY-DIE Hunslet Hawks kept their survival hopes alive with a six-try victory over London Broncos.

London led three times in the first half. In the 11th minute a William Barthau 40–20 set up good position and, on the fourth tackle, Matt Garside stretched over. In the 22nd minute Kyle Trout forced his way over. London were quick to regain the lead, James Cunningham going over and Wes Naiqama converting.

Another Hunslet replacement made an immediate difference in the 30th minute. George Flanagan, who with Jack Lee and Simon Brown, managed the Hawks’ attack all afternoon, had been on the pitch for a matter of seconds when he squirmed over from dummy half.

The lead changed hands again four minutes before the break when Sadiq Adebiyi scored, spinning through three tacklers on a powerful 15-metre run before grounding the ball.

The turning point came early in the second half, after Ryan Backhouse had pounced on a Brown grubber. Adebiyi made another storming run. He then played a superb inside pass, which the video operator considered not to be forward. Unfortunately for the Broncos the referee and touch judge thought otherwise.

From there on the game went away from the Broncos as Hunslet added two more tries in four minutes. Lewis Reed went over from close range.

James Duckworth, who spent most of last season on loan at the Broncos, scored the next try, somersaulting onto the ball from a Brown kick.

Jason Walton was sin-binned for lying on James Houston and Brown added the penalty goal.

He then dropped a goal and added another penalty either side of the first of two Ben Hellewell tries for London. But the last word belonged to the Hunslet hooker, Lee, who touched down from dummy half.

London Broncos: Kear, Williams, Hellewell, Naiqama, Morris, Barthau, Cunningham, Walker, Henderson, Gray, Garside, Walton, Wicks. Subs (all used): Dollapi, Davis, Adebiyi, Pointer.

Hunslet Hawks: Watson, Aggoro, Duckworth, Maun, Barnett, Brown, Ansell, Houston, Lee, Trout, Gee, Backhouse, Mackay. Subs (all used): 1 Lyons, Castle, Reed, Flanagan.

Referee: Dave Merrick.

Attendance: 275 est.