Hunslet hero Goldthorpe is named in the Hall of Fame

Shaun Edwards
Shaun Edwards
Have your say

HUNSLET LEGEND Albert Goldthorpe has been inducted into rugby league’s Hall of Fame.

Goldthorpe – who died in 1943, aged 71 – was honoured at a dinner in Manchester yesterday, along with former Wigan star Shaun Edwards OBE.

Known as Arh Albert, Goldthorpe was one of five brothers, four of whom played for Hunslet.

He made his debut for the club at the age of 16 in 1888, seven years before rugby league began following a split from the Rugby Football Union.

In the 1907-08 season, Goldthorpe led the Hunslet side which won all four domestic trophies: the Yorkshire Cup, Yorkshire League, Challenge Cup and Championship.

He went on to score more than 1,500 points in 659 games until his retirement in 1910 and then served on Hunslet’s committee and became the club’s second full-time secretary-manager in 1924, a post he held for seven years.

Edwards, who was also inducted last night, enjoyed a trophy-laden career with his hometown club Wigan, winning the Challenge Cup for eight consecutive years as well three World Club Championships, eight Championship titles and the Man of Steel award in 1990.

He also had spells at London Broncos, Bradford Bulls and a brief stint in Australia with Balmain Tigers.

Goldthorpe and Edwards are the 24th and 25th inductees of the Hall of Fame, following Malcolm Reilly OBE and Willie Horne’s inclusions last year.

RFL chief executive Nigel Wood said: “The Rugby League Hall of Fame includes 23 magnificent legends of our sport and the list now includes two more outstanding players.

“In a year when we are celebrating the sport’s 120th anniversary with five of the game’s legends immortalised in the rugby league statue at Wembley Stadium, it’s fantastic that those celebrations can be extended with the induction of two worthy inductees into the Hall of Fame.”

Meanwhile, Hunslet Hawks will travel to Featherstone Rovers on Sunday, January 24 (3pm) for the pre-season Gareth Swift Memorial Trophy fixture.

The game was called off in January due to freezing conditions and Rovers hold the trophy following a 26-0 win on January 1, 2014.