Hunslet Hawks: Doncaster remain rooted to foot of table as Ansell’s kicking proves pivotal

Hunslet tryscorer Jimmy Keinhorst.
Hunslet tryscorer Jimmy Keinhorst.
Have your say

DANNY ANSELL’S accurate goalkicking proved important as Hunslet made sure they didn’t become Doncaster’s first victims in almost 10 months.

The scrum-half slotted four from five attempts and added a drop goal to always keep Barry Eaton’s side just in front at Blackpool during the Summer Bash Championship fixture.

Bottom-placed Doncaster were competitive as former boss Tony Miller returned to take temporary charge but, with Dave Scott unable to convert any of their three tries, still slipped to an 18th straight loss. Hunslet opened the scoring after just seven minutes when dual-registered Leeds Rhinos centre Jimmy Keinhorst collected Luke Briscoe’s palm down after Andy Kain’s pinpoint kick to the corner.

Ansell added the first of his three conversions but Doncaster responded soon after. Scrum-half Richard Wilkinson picked up a loose pass and stepped over from close range.

Hunslet full-back Jimmy Watson scored at the end of the first quarter with ex-Batley centre Danny Maun adding their third after Briscoe’s quality break. But Shaun Leaf slipped over with relative ease for Doncaster before the break so when team-mate Tom Hodson squeezed in in the 54th minute the only reason Miller’s side weren’t in front was Scott’s poor goalkicking.

It was no surprise when Ansell accepted a penalty goal five minutes later. Briscoe did get a deserved try to stretch the lead after Keinhorst’s classy offload and Ansell made sure with a drop goal.

Doncaster: Scott; Doherty, Welham, Cowling, Hodson; Nicklas, Wilkinson; Groat, Emmett, Clark, Snitch, Kelly, Dunn. Subs (all used): Spiers, Carbutt, Kesik, Leaf.

Hunslet Hawks: Watson; Briscoe, Keinhorst, Maun, Finnigan; Kain, Ansell; Yates, Ward, Haley, Martin, Casey, Mackay. Subs (all used): Flanagan, Mulhern, Lyons, Mvududu.

Referee: Jamie Bloem (South Africa).