Halifax 23 Dewsbury Rams 14: Tyrer's kicking proves pivotal as Rams tire in final decisive quarter

Halifax returned to winning ways in the Championship with a hard-fought win over Dewsbury.

Monday, 25th April 2016, 5:48 am
Influential, Dewsbury's James Glover.

Richard Marshall’s side led 12-8 at the break before going on to clinch victory, with centre Steve Tyrer producing another impeccable kicking performance. The first half was a war of attrition, with neither side really looking capable of puncturing their opponents’ defence with any degree of regularity.

Halifax broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when half back Gareth Moore danced past two defenders and touched down by the posts for Tyrer to convert. But a knock on gave Dewsbury a chance to reply immediately and they took it, Dalton Grant scoring off simple passing. James Glover goaled.

Dewsbury went ahead on the half-hour when stand-off Glover landed a 40-metre penalty. Halifax regained the advantage just before the break though, Moore hoisting the ball across the field and Potts pouncing to score in the corner, Tyrer again on target for 12-8.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Halifax started the second half with more urgency and stretched their lead to 18-8 when Scott Murrell’s kick and Ed Barber’s leap and sleight of hand put Adam Tangata over the line, Tyrer converting.

A Tyrer penalty stretched the lead to 20-8, but a Etu Uaisele try, converted by Glover, gave Dewsbury hope at 20-14.

But with Halifax becoming increasingly dominant, Tyrer added a penalty six minutes from time to give the home side an eight point gap at 22-14, with Murrell’s last-play drop goal finishing the job.

Halifax: Greenwood; Saxton, Smeaton, Tyrer, Potts; G. Moore, Johnston; Bennion, Kaye, Ambler, Manning, Barber, Fairbank. Subs: Murrell, Cahalane, Tangata, Maneely

Dewsbury: Guzdek; Morton, Uaisele, Crookes, Grant; Glover, Kain; Jackson, Speakman, Walker, Hale, Grady, Farrell. Subs: Brown, Conroy, Teanby, Trout

Referee: M. Woodhead.