Workington 10 Featherstone 24: Rovers come from behind to beat in-form Town

Will Sharp.
Will Sharp.
Have your say

FEATHERSTONE Rovers confirmed their position as Championship Shield leaders when they came from behind to beat in-form Workington Town.

Rovers will certainly have been impressed with Town’s opening try on four minutes which sliced them wide open.

Jarrad Sammut made a dart 30 yards out and found Jack Murphy. He put in a driving run before finding Elliott Miller and although he was tackled, managed to slip the ball to Callum Phillips who hared in for the try which Sammut improved.

Featherstone soon started to apply strong pressure and Town were on the defensive for long periods.

The resistance was finally broken on 14 minutes when Cooke spread a huge ball out wide and Alex Foster finished-off with an unconverted try.

In a rare Town break-out Sammut’s clever kick on 32 minutes put-in Elliott Miller for the second try. Carl Forber hit the post with the conversion.

Featherstone took nine minutes of the second half to get on terms. They moved the ball left and Will Sharp was there to finish off. Paul Sykes put up a fine touchline conversion.

Three minutes later they had the lead.

This time it was Steve Snitch who finished-off after some clever, short passing near the Town line had found the gap. Sykes converted.

When Karl Olstrum was sin-binned for complaining too strongly after a penalty award went against Town, the game was up, although the final converted try five minutes from the end rather gave the scoreline an unjust look.

It was Will Milner who dotted the ball down after exchanging passes with Jordan Baldwinson and Sykes tacked on the extras.

Workington: Murphy, Miller, Mossop, Akehurst, Carter, Doran, Sammut, Coward, C. Phillips, Shackley, B. Phillips, Szostak, Olstrum. Subs (all used): Whiteley, McAvoy, Walker, Forber.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman, Johnson, Sykes, Foster, Sharp, Cooke, Milner, Baldwinson, Ellis, Bussey, Spears, Snitch, Ormondroyd. Subs (all used): Day, Tagg, Cooper, Coventry.

Referee: Andy Sweet.

Attendance: 906.