Swinton Lions 10 Featherstone Rovers 30: Four-star Rovers motoring along smoothly with on-the-road success

Anthony Thackeray was on the scoresheet in Featherstone's win at Swinton. PIC: Carol Austerberry
Anthony Thackeray was on the scoresheet in Featherstone's win at Swinton. PIC: Carol Austerberry
Have your say

Featherstone Rovers stepped up their top-four bid in the Kingstone Press Championship with a fourth straight victory by beating Swinton Lions at Heywood Road, Sale, yesterday.

The Lions, still without a win after achieving promotion last season, were outplayed from the start and were 30-0 down before they scored two late tries. Jamie Cording had an effort ruled out for a forward pass before Rovers went ahead in the 15th minute when Bradley Knowles-Tagg and Kyle Briggs set up Scott Turner.

They struck again six minutes later when Ian Hardman went over after plucking the ball out of the air from a high kick. Featherstone’s third try came in the 32nd minute; Swinton lost possession and Kyran Johnson had an easy touchdown.

The Lions had a let-off when Johnson had another effort disallowed before Swinton’s Chris Atkin was held up over the line before half-time. Rovers stretched their lead five minutes into the second half when Jack Ormondroyd’s powerful drive led to Cording scoring a try, goaled by Briggs. Midway through the half, Swinton were punished for an error at a play the ball near their line when there was no one at dummy half, and Briggs snapped up the gift try he also improved.

Swinton’s Mike Morrison was sin-binned before Rovers made it 30-0 when Anthony Thackeray darted over and Briggs converted. The Lions completed the scoring when Macaulay Hallett and Atkin crossed in the closing stages.

Swinton Lions: Atkin; Robinson, Littler, Hallett, Marshall; White, Beharrell; Morrison, Nicholson, Hand, Lloyd, Dwyer, Lever. Subs:Halafihi, Thornley, Barlow, Austin.

Featherstone Rovers: Craven; Johnson, Hardman, Taulapapa, Turner; Briggs, Thackeray; Griffin, Ellis, Bostock, Cording, Davies, Knowles-Tagg. Subs: Ormondroyd, Milner, Baldwinson, Roche.

Referee: Sam Ansell.

Attendance: 745.