Rovers share the tries around to record a fine win in the capital

Andy Bostock
Andy Bostock
Have your say

Featherstone Rovers came from behind to beat London Broncos 40-32 at The Hive yesterday.

The win mean Rovers have won all eight of their Kingstone Championship away games and stay fourth in the table.

Ty Hitchcox, Ben Blackmore, Andy Bostock, Jamie Cording, Luke Teasdale, Nathan Chappell and Jack Bussey all notched tries as Andy Hay’s men overcame a 12-point first half deficit.

Broncos got off to a dominant start with two tries. Jamie Thackray scored after just two minutes before Tom Gilmore fed Daniel Harrison through with a delightful toe poked pass for the second try. Wes Naiqama converted both.

Featherstone were not down for long, Blackmore rounded off a phase of pressure with a try in the 28th minute. The wind took Paul Sykes’ conversion attempt away to keep the scores at 12-4. The game was turned completely on its head with a Featherstone rampage at the end of the first half.

Hitchcox scored a sensational try when he picked up the ball at full-back, evaded a few Broncos tackles and charged through everyone with raw pace to score under the sticks. Bostock in contrast nudged his way through minutes later.

Featherstone were much more like their usual selves in the second half scoring tries through Cording, Teasdale and Chappell to create a commanding lead. Rhys Williams, Ben Hellewell and Jarrod Sammut scored a bundle of tries to put Broncos back within eight points. Bussey arrived onto a neat Rovers kicked pass to seal the win before Broncos scored the final try through Daniel Harrison.

London Broncos: Hellewell, Williams, Farrar, Naiqama, Macani, Sammut, Gilmore, Lovegrove, Dwyer, Thackray, Harrison, Garside, Minichella. Subs: Nasso, Wallace, Kear, Annakin.

Featherstone: Hitchcox, Blackmore, Hardman, Chappell, Sharp, Sykes, Moore, Wood, Ellis, James, Maitua, Cording, Spears. Subs: Bussey, Bostock, Teasdale, Carvell.

Referee: Gareth Hewer (RFL).

Attendance: 672.