Match report: Hunslet Hawks v Featherstone Rovers

editorial image
Have your say

ROVERS coach Daryl Powell saw his side outclass Hunslet for the second time in three weeks but he still feels there is more to come from his high-scorers.

After clocking up 50 points against the Hawks in the Northern Rail Cup, Rovers ran in nine tries yesterday to complete a comprehensive league victory, but Powell said: “It seems to be a trend with us that we just can’t seem to apply ourselves for 80 minutes.

“We are putting together 40 or 50 minutes of really good rugby league and we are just trying to extend it.

“We need a bit more application from some of the boys. If we say something at half-time, everybody needs to buy into it.

“Our game got a bit scrappy in the second half but in the first half, in terms of squeezing a team and making it difficult for them, I thought we were excellent.”

Hunslet player-coach Paul March again rested himself after recent impressive displays by his team but he is expected to be back for Sunday’s Challenge Cup task against Salford at South Leeds Stadium.

March said: “The effort was there from us, but we were on the wrong end of some bad decisions again.

“When you play Featherstone, you know what you are going to get because they are the best side in this league and they proved it.

“They scored 32 points in the first half and there were a few forward passes in there, but I am not complaining about who won the game.

“What I am concerned about is that the lads are putting in the effort, but getting some bad calls.

“It is happening week after week and it is frustrating for them.”

March confessed: “Some of the tries we let in were soft and I will address that, but the wind was a massive factor. They won the toss, the wind was in their favour straightaway and they steamrollered us in the first half.

“Maybe we were not at the races in certain departments, but the effort was there. All I ask for is a level playing field.”

Rovers had two five-minute purple patches in the first half, scoring three tries on each occasion.

Centre Nathan Chappell, who completed his signing on Friday after a month on trial, had some excellent moments and it was his pass which sent Tommy Saxton in for the first try in the eighth minute.

Matty Dale and Jonny Hepworth quickly added further tries and after Hunslet had five sets without scoring, Rovers hit them with another whirlwind three-try burst in five minutes, Ross Divorty, Tom Hemmingway and Chappell touching down for the visitors.

Liam Finn, who kicked six goals in the match, converted his own try at the start of the second half and although Stuart Kain and Danny Ratcliffe scored tries for the Hawks, Hepworth collected his second touchdown and Andy Kain finished off Rovers’ big win with an interception try.

HUNSLET HAWKS: S Kain; Pryce, Haughey, Kear, Barnett; Grimshshaw, Ratcliffe; Sullivan, Haigh, Houston, Blakeway, Kelly, D March. Subs: Clayton, Lowe, Yates, McLocklan.

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS: Hepworth; Powell, Smeaton, Chappel, Saxton; A Kain, Finn; Morrison, Hemingway, Haley, Grayshon, Divorty, Dale. Subs: Tonks, Dickens, Spears, Welham.

REFEREE: Ronnie Laughton (Barnsley).


Misi Taulapapa.

Featherstone Rovers: Team attitude berated by boss Duffy