Former Rovers centre Whiting lands late leveller for Doncaster

Richard Whiting
Richard Whiting
Have your say

DONCASTER snatched a dramatic 22-22 draw with former Featherstone centre Richard Whiting’s last-minute try.

Rovers led 22-18 until Whiting, signed on dual registration from Hull FC, pounced on Alex Starling’s crossfield kick to grab his second touchdown in the dying seconds.

Ex-Featherstone full-back Dave Scott, who had earlier landed three goals from three kicks, missed the chance to earn Doncaster a league double over his old club when his angled conversion sailed wide.

It was a dramatic finish to a thrilling game between second-placed Featherstone and the team immediately below them in the table.

Doncaster were 12-0 up after 17 minutes but Rovers stormed back in the second-half to continue their unbeaten start under new coach Andy Hay .

The visitors went ahead when player-coach Paul Cooke, Scott and Starling linked superbly to put in Liam Welham.

Welham then missed a golden chance to score again when he fumbled Cooke’s pass with the try line begging.

Mike Emmett plunged over from Kyle Kesik’s pass to double Doncaster’s lead before Rovers hit back midway through the half when Ben Blackmore crossed from close range.

Featherstone struck again when Andy Kain’s magnificent break created a try for Danny Bridge that debutant Harry Siejka – signed on dual registration from Wakefield Trinity Wildcats – converted to cut the gap to two points.

Doncaster regained control when Rich Wilkinson made the opening for Whiting’s first score but Rovers made a great start to the second-half to wipe out an 18-10 interval deficit.

Andy Bostock forced his way over and fellow substitute Jack Bussey showed tremendous strength to score a barnstorming individual try, with Siejka kicking both conversions to put Featherstone 22-18 ahead.

Doncaster missed a gilt-edged chance when Cooke and Wilkinson opened up Featherstone’s defence but Whiting was unable to take the final pass with the try line wide open.

Whiting made amends with his last gasp leveller after Steve Snitch and Kesik had both been held up over the line.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Sharp, Worthington, Blackmore, Crookes; Kain, Siejka; Trout, Ellis, Green, Bridge, Cording, Lockwood. Subs: Bussey, Bostock, Dale, Mendeika.

Doncaster: Scott; Morrison, Welham, Whiting, Hodson; Cooke, Wilkinson; Robinson, Kesik, Carbutt, Colbon, Starling, Emmett. Subs: Spiers, Spaven, Snitch, Kelly.

Referee: Joe Cobb (Leigh).

Attendance: 2,300.

John Duffy.

North Wales Crusaders v Featherstone Rovers: Duffy wants Rovers in the driving seat from outset